modesto2

737 FMS

Thu Nov 22, 2001 4:04 pm

After looking at this pic, I was wondering: I see the FMC but where's the ND? Any explanations? Thanks!

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Mark Abbott

RE: 737 FMS

Fri Nov 23, 2001 1:13 am

If you are referring to the Navigation Display...FMC displayed on the HSI. That;s the instrument that the inboard handles of both control cdolumns are hiding.

concorde1518

Sun Nov 25, 2001 9:19 am

I dont know for sure, but if Continental uses the 733's like SWA, they don't display onto the HSI. It tells them what the waypoints are, lets them get info about legs, departures and arrivals, etc., but there is no map mode on the analog HSI's, and there is also no VNAV or LNAV. Made to cut costs, becuase it keeps it common with the 737-200.

Sun Nov 25, 2001 10:19 am

Outboard on the Mode Control Panel on both sides is a switch called the HSI Transfer switch. it has 2 positions : VOR/ILS and NAV. If the switch is in VOR/ILS position, then the HSI is displaying data tuned directly from the Nav Control Panels. This is manual mode - the flight crew is managing the flight (old way of navigating). When in the NAV position, it is displaying information from the FMC. Data tuned from teh FMC is displayed as well as track info, and course changes.
You are correct, as I didn't realize that it was an analog HSI - but some of CO 737-300s have EFIS. Those HSI display MAP and plan modes. But nevertheless, the HSIs still display FMC data. The FMC is more than map and plan modes.