LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Blinking Lights On Private Jets

Sun Nov 25, 2001 12:04 pm

Ok heres the deal.

I have been spotting by ORD the other day. I saw a few nice planes like the 747-200F of AF Cargo, a 744F of SIA Cargo and the A320 Mexicana Retrojet. Well anyways then comes in for a landing a Learjet. It was blinking all of its lights, the next private that i see 30 minutes later is also blinking all the lights while landing. The commercial airliners didnt do this just the private ones.

Can anyone explain why would the private jets were blinking lights while on approach?

Arch89U

RE: Blinking Lights On Private Jets

Sun Nov 25, 2001 12:06 pm

Are you sure all were blinking? Strobes would give a sense of blinking, as would a beacon light, but Nav lights and Landing lights don't blink. It is possible they were blinking their landing light briefly for traffic avoidance reasons.

Arch89U

Arch89U

Sun Nov 25, 2001 12:19 pm

I forgot to mention in my earlier post. A beacon light would only give a sense of blinking because of an error in human vision, which makes stationary lights seem like they are moving. Also, it is possible the planes could have been moving in very jerky motions, momentarily hiding the beacon light, and making it appear to be blinking.

Arch89U

Sun Nov 25, 2001 1:13 pm

What you probably saw was an airplane with "Pulse Lights" installed. It's a very common option that pulses or flashes the landing and recognition lights to enhance visibility and to also save on bulb replacement costs. A number of aircarriers are starting to install the systems on their aircraft also - Southwest for example.

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2001 4:51 am

I am 100% sure they were blinking. And it was only on the private jets.

Thanks for the expalantion guys.

runway

Mon Nov 26, 2001 7:14 am

You may have seen a Hawker 125 series, although it's common to many aircraft. They do use it to increase their visibility to others, and it is believed to ward off any birds that may be on or around the field.

H. Simpson

Mon Nov 26, 2001 7:47 am

I agree with LOT767-300ER, I did see one last few months a private jet blinking it's landing lights (on the ldg gears, right?) app to LGA, it definitely catchs my attention.

mike

LOT767-300ER
Topic Author

Mon Nov 26, 2001 12:34 pm

Yea definately it was blinking. Birds? I dont think so because the other planes would have been doing it..now remember that a plane is coming in every minutes above and im in the same spot so its not an eye illusion.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Mon Nov 26, 2001 2:46 pm

That's definitely the pulse lights... some new aircraft have them and some older aircraft are having them installed. It is just the wingtip landing lights blinking back and forth. The Saratogas I fly are equipped with them. I put them on pulse below 5000, and on short final i generally bring them onto constant. Studies have shown they decrease the chance of bird strikes. More and more aircraft are getting them. I see them maybe twice a day or so....especially with all the New Piper aircraft that come into town.

Hope this helps some.... peace.
Chicks dig winglets.