Rental Aircraft Safety

Tue Dec 04, 2001 7:55 am

Well, I'm starting to want to go get checked out at other FBOs. What should I do to determine if the aircraft there in good condition (ie, safe)? I know to check to make sure all the required inspections have been done, but what else? I know of some planes around here that have spiked electronics, dead ELT batteries, and have been through way too many hard landings, etc...I want to avoid birds like that.

RE: Rental Aircraft Safety

Tue Dec 04, 2001 8:09 am

Ask about their maintenance program, have a look at their squawk book see what has been written up, did the problems repeat, how long till they where repaired, have a look how clean the planes are, also ask for referances, and give them a call and see what they say!
aaron atp

A Bit Of Advice

Tue Dec 04, 2001 8:17 am

Go to you local fsdo and ask for a copy of their ramp inspection checklist... use that after you complete your first preflight of the aircraft in question.

If you rent at an airport with a FSDO on the field, keep one of those in your flightbag. If you ever see the FAA near-by, grab it and continue your preflight. If they ramp check you and ask you if your aircraft is airworthy, tell them you have not yet come to that conclusion and let them see the ramp-checklist and (whoa) preflight checklist in your hand.

If you tell them the aircraft is airworthy, and they decide it isn't, you could get tagged. Go read FAA Order 2150.3A, most notably b(5) and learn what they have to say about a constructive attitude.