david b.

Ground Steering

Mon Dec 10, 2001 2:36 pm

Can asymmetric thrust alone be used to steer a aircraft on the ground without turning the tiller Confused
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

Goldenshield

RE: Ground Steering

Mon Dec 10, 2001 3:29 pm

It depends on the aircraft.

Aircraft with wing mounted engines, would have no problem in doing so, but they must have the opposite brake on at the same time, or else, your going to do a slight turn in the direction opposite the engine.

Aircraft with rear mounted engines, have a small to nil chance of that ever happening.

Some small aircraft have this system as well. The nose wheel is a free wheel, and steering is controlled with the brakes. Its a challenge at first, but you get accustomed to it over time.

gs
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Twotterwrench

Mon Dec 10, 2001 7:13 pm

I watched a B-17 back up on the ground once. I suppose anything is possible. For those of you who don't see why this is amazing....the B-17 does NOT have reversing props, yet this pilot could make the plane back up. Any guesses how he did it? The winner gets a pat on the back.

avt007

Tue Dec 11, 2001 2:08 am

To back up the B17, I`d guess power up #1, hold LH brakes, when it turns, aplly all brakes, and start again from the RH side. I think it would work, but it would be hell on the gear!
As for steering without the tiller, the style of nose gear is important. If it is a trailing link type, like the Dash8, no problem. But the normal oleo type with little or no caster to it, it is really hard to steer even using brakes.