Mr Spaceman
Topic Author

"One-Piece" Jet Engine Fan?

Sat Dec 15, 2001 5:08 am

Hi guys.

First off...here's some quick info on the engines that power the new Raytheon Premier 1 corporate jet.

The type of engines are the Williams-Rolls FJ44-2A Turbofan, each with 2,300 pounds of static thrust and a 3.3 to 1 bypass ratio.

This Williams engine has a "One-Piece Fan" with wide chord blades.

The article I read about the engines on the Premier 1 only mentioned that it's Williams engines had a One-Piece fan. It didn't mention anything about this One-Piece fan being a "first type" unique feature, etc.

So I'm wondering if there are any other jet engines out there that have a One-Piece fan at the beginning of their compressor stage? If so, are they on small corporate aircraft or large airliners?

Chris  Smile

"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

desertjets

RE: "One-Piece" Jet Engine Fan?

Sat Dec 15, 2001 5:50 am

The Williams FJ44, first used on the Cessna CitationJet is milled from a single chunk of titanium I believe. I guess it saves some weight and reduces another thing that could break.
Stop drop and roll will not save you in hell. --- seen on a church marque in rural Virginia

XFSUgimpLB41X

Sat Dec 15, 2001 5:51 am

The new citations have them as do alot of the other new biz jets. They replace the "fir-tree" type fan blades that you hear clinking while they are turned off on the ground and spinning in the wind.
Chicks dig winglets.

Mr Spaceman
Topic Author

Sat Dec 15, 2001 6:38 am

Hi guys, Thanks for your replies.

I was thinking ...what if these engines experienced a bird strike, or FOD, or even a bad hail storm and one of their fan blades did get damaged. You would have to replace the "whole" front compressor fan instead of just a few removable blades that could be replaced. This sounds a lot more expensive. However, if these one-piece fans are made of titanium....they must be very strong and impact resistant.

Thanks for letting me know that other corporate jets also have these types of intake fans. Do you think airliners ever will?

Chris  Smile

"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

vc10

Sat Dec 15, 2001 9:05 am

If you have seen an engine which has suffered a bird strike you will know that the bird itself might only damage a few blades?, but those blades usually go on to do untold damage to the rest of the engine