avt007

Laptop Power Specs

Sat Dec 22, 2001 3:42 am

I`d like to know what power is provided by business class seats, i.e. voltage, connector type. I just bought a laptop , and I fly AC and LH from yvr-fra -tip and return. Usually this involves AC A320, AC747, or ex-CP767, LH A320, LH A340 or 747. Is there an industry standard for these power outlets? I'd love to know, because the adaptors I've seen so far are ridiculously expensive. Thanks!

avt007

RE: Laptop Power Specs

Sat Dec 22, 2001 3:48 am

Lufthansa site says their seats have plugs that allow you to plug in your normal household AC adaptor. Has anyone tried this, and if so, what a/c and routes? Thanks again......

VC-10

Sat Dec 22, 2001 4:19 am

Why not just ask AC?

avt007

Sat Dec 22, 2001 6:10 am

AC site says you need an adaptor available from Targus. They go for $120 US, and $160 Cdn from what I've seen. That a bit much if you ask me, so I'm trying to find another way around it.

geotrash

Mon Dec 24, 2001 6:55 pm

I have one from Targus, as Avt007 mentioned. The standard for the U.S. carriers I fly on (mostly United) is a plug end that looks vaguely similar to a cigarette lighter plug, but is shorter and skinnier, and keyed to fit the receptacle in one orientation only. I think the aircraft power source is 24 volts DC (can someone confirm?), so make sure the adapter you buy is either specific to your machine, or that it has selectable voltage settings and then take special care to set it correctly for your machine.

The biggest headache I've found is in finding the correct tip for the laptop end of the adapter. Dell laptops have a funky receptacle, and I had to order the correct tip special from Targus after I bought the power supply. Fortunately it was free. They are expensive, but interestingly, I bought mine at Laptop Lane (common in US airports), for $100. 20 bucks less than Office Depot wanted for the same thing. They are generally knowledgeable about such items anyway, so perhaps an airport store is as good a place as any to buy one. That way if it doesn't work out, returning it is easy on your next trip through.

I'll check the specifics (voltage, plug end shape, model number, etc.) on my adapter and re-post shortly.

geotrash

Mon Dec 24, 2001 7:07 pm

OK, it's a Targus Universal Auto/Air Power Adapter, model PA-350.

Specs:

Input voltage: 11-16 Volts DC (sorry, not 24 as I saide before)
Output voltage: 3-24 Volts DC 8 Amps max.
Power: 70 Watts continuous

The aircraft end of the plug looks like this: (I'm not an artist  Big grin )

O O
oo

2 small prongs and 2 large prongs, protected by a hard plastic cylinder that extends half a centimeter beyond the ends of the prongs.

A cigarette lighter socket adapter is included, along with 6 or so laptop tips.

Hope this info helps.

-Geo

Gregg

Mon Dec 24, 2001 10:31 pm

act007 is correct, the LH first and buz have a 120 volt (typical American type three prong) plug. It works well. (I've used it on the A340, but haven't used it on their 747-400)

avt007

Wed Dec 26, 2001 6:07 am

Thanks for the help guys, I`ve bought the same adaptor as Geotrash, now I`m trying to see if the 19.55volt tip is ok for my 19volt Compaq! Gregg, thanks for the confirmation on LH, I never looked before, as I didn`t have a laptop.

ryu2

Thu Dec 27, 2001 12:01 am

Forget those $120 adapters.

For me, I personally use a adapter that converts from the funky plug used by the airplane seat, to a standard 12 V cigarette lighter plug. Then I plug a 12 VDC -> 120 VAC inverter, and just use my regular AC adapter. The whole setup cost me about $50, less than those proprietary adapters -- AND I don't need to get a new adapter if I change my laptop!