mandargb

Kingman - Arizona

Sun Dec 30, 2001 5:19 am

Few days ago I happened to pass by Kingman, Arizona

I saw few DHL 727s, L1011s and I think DC-10s also.

Is there a storage / scrap yard for these planes or was it a normal operation going on at kingman?

Does anybody know?

RE: Kingman - Arizona

Sun Dec 30, 2001 5:43 am

We have a plant in Kingman and get in there on a more or less regular basis. Kingman was a WWII training field (Gunnery and B-17's, I believe) during the war and an aircraft salvage depot after the war. In the FBO's lobby there are many pictures of row after row of B-24s and other aircraft awaiting the cutting torch. I've walked out in those areas on many occassions and kicked up all kinds of stuff left over from those operations - landing light lenses, phenolic pulleys, wire bundles, oxygen regulators, etc.

Now days, aircraft are both being stored there (it's VERY dry - perfect for long-term aircraft storage) and salvaged. There are several old jetliners being cut up and parted out. It's actually a pretty interesting airport to walk around. Hope this helps.

Jetguy

United_fan

RE: Kingman - Arizona

Mon Dec 31, 2001 11:48 am

I was at IGM in Sep. I loved seeing the old TWA L1011's! I was able to walk right up to one that was parked way out and get alot of pic's. IMHO IGM has better picture possibilities than VCV and MHV. I also got a picture of the baggage cart for Mesa's flight-towed by a lawn tractor!
You can see my pictures on www.planepictures.net (search under 'kerhaert')
Champagne For My Real Friends,and Real Pain For My Sham Friends