CloudNine
Topic Author

Flight Numbering?

Tue Jan 01, 2002 3:17 am

I've been noticing how most European air carrriers have flight numbers that run in numerical order to a route destination. Example:501/503/505. If I'm correct about this fact,why do we not see U.S. airlines with flight numbers that run in order to a certain route destination?Example:U.S.carrier 665/98/1106 all to the same destination in an operational day. I'm confused trying to understand how U.S carriers number their flights. I REALLY hope this is'nt to vague of a question. Thanks.

kaitakfan

RE: Flight Numbering?

Wed Jan 02, 2002 6:51 am

Something I have noticed about flight numbers from a U.S. based airline is all pacific flights except one flight is are numbered in the 800's. Example LAX-SYD, 815. SFO-HKG, 805. LAX-NRT, 897. and the only one UAL doesnt have in the 800's is the now suspended UAL flight 1 which was LAX-HKG. that flight had been on and off as around the world which continued on to New Delhi, India, London Heathrow, Washington Dulles or New York Kennedy, Los Angeles. I believe it also would go to Singapore or Bangkok throughout the past years if im not mistaken. Prehaps they opperate in the 800's due to 8 being a luckey number in Asia? I also think European flights for UAL are in the 900's correct? Well Prehaps what I have just said will give you a bit more light on the subject!

Cheers!
Brian

CloudNine
Topic Author

RE: Flight Numbering?

Fri Jan 04, 2002 5:12 am

Let me ask this question differently. How do U.S. commercial carriers number their domestic flights as compared to how most of the European carriers number their flights? Theres no order to U.S. carrier flight numbers in an operational day. Thats the point of my question.