Trent_800
Topic Author

Nose Gear Weight Loading

Wed Jan 16, 2002 3:37 pm

On Airliners with more than two main gear legs (747,A340,A380,DC10-30) Why is there only two wheels on the Nose gear? I mean these two wheels are taking the weight of the plane from the main gear to the nose of the aircraft (that must be some weight)
Either they are super strong or they dont have much weight loading. What is the reason?

Ikarus

RE: Nose Gear Weight Loading

Wed Jan 16, 2002 6:13 pm

The nose gear does, in fact, take less loading than the main gear. If you imagine the plane with nose gear and main gear and centre of gravity marked, you will see that the CG is very close to the main gear. (Have a look at all the pics in the database of planes that tipped over and sit on their tails, after cargo has been unloaded properly))

If you take moments about the CG (i.e. you take times ), the Moment of the front gear has to be the same as the moment of the rear gear. As the distance is much much longer, the force is much much less. That is why less strength is needed in the front gear.

There are, of course, exceptions. Take old double-deckers or the B52 as example. Here, the moment arms are distributed differently.

Regards

Ikarus

Mr Spaceman

RE: Nose Gear Weight Loading

Sat Jan 19, 2002 1:49 am

Hi guys.

Check out the nose gear on these monsters!

Lockheed C-5 Galaxy
Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © PixAir

Click for large version

Photo © Glen Reid

Does anyone know what the Maximum Gross Take Off Weight is for the C-5 Galaxy? It's not in the Aircraft Data & History section.

Antonov An-225 Mriya
Click for large version

Photo © Michael Watzke

Click for large version

Photo © Lolo

The An-225 has a Max Take Off Weight of 600000 Kg! Amazing!

Chris  Smile

"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"