IFR Training Now.

Wed Feb 13, 2002 4:11 pm

So what is IFR training now far as What intruments are being used ? Like are ADF and VORS out of the picture ? could I be trained the old fashion way with out knowing . or will I get GPS training

FredT

RE: IFR Training Now.

Wed Feb 13, 2002 5:10 pm

You can be sure to do a lot of VOR/NDB work. It's by no means old-fashioned yet.

Cheers,
/ft
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

ThirtyEcho

Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:09 am

And you are absolutely guranteed to get an NDB approach on your instrument flight test, complete with Procedure Turn, and probably a hold at an NDB fix.

Thu Feb 14, 2002 1:38 am

I didn't get an NDB approach on my checkride. That might have something to do with the fact that the airplane that I took the checkride in didn't have an ADF. If I remember correctly, I had a VOR approach (partial panel), a VOR/DME approach (no timing) and an ILS. Didn't do a procedure turn either. Did some holding, some steep turns, some back-course localizer tracking. My oral only took about 45 minutes, and we only went over IFR enroute charts, and instruments.

In answer to the original question - Expect to be able to navigate using VORs, NDBs, ILSs, GPSs, and be able to do all of it partial panel (meaning using the Magnetic compass when the DG is covered) all under the hood. You will also need to be able to hold at VORs, NDBs, and Intersections, and use the proper entry.

lymanm

Thu Feb 14, 2002 4:49 pm

I believe the FARs say that you are required to perform any approach that the aircraft in which you perform your flight test is equipped for. ie - No ADF, no NDB approaches. No DME, no VOR/DME approaches.
buhh bye

Sun Feb 17, 2002 4:10 pm

thank you for all your answers, Advice going to try to finish up my helicopter rating. And If my wallet could handle it I am going to get IFR time.