DG_pilot

Commercial Certificate

Mon Feb 18, 2002 5:29 am

In a couple of weeks I will be starting my Commercial pilot training. How was everyone elses' com. training? Give me the "low down" if you can. How is the best way to go about it? Other then reading up before and after each flight, what are the best ways to be prepared? Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated! I guess I'm just asking for personal learning experiences. Thanks a ton!

cosync

RE: Commercial Certificate

Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:13 pm

just putting this up to the top no one seams to notice u.
hehehehe
get learning information off the net. itll mean less flying hours therefor less money. clearer knoledge reduces flight hours.

Mon Feb 18, 2002 11:53 pm

DG, I'm just about at the same spot in my training, so I'm pretty interested to see what people will say.

doug_or

Tue Feb 19, 2002 1:55 am

I'm still wokring on my Commercial too, but lacking any more experienced responses, I'll throw my 2 cents in. At lesat from where I'm at (still simple single engine) its really just been building on private pilot stuff. Getting maneuvers to be more precise and learning more complex ones. As such, the prep is fairly similar; read up and know what your going to be doing, try to make sure you undersand all of the concepts your instructor teaches, and if you've got the time and equipment, do some flight-sim or x-plane to keep the scan up. No big secrects, but good luck none the less,
Doug
PDX/LAF/IND
When in doubt, one B pump off

XFSUgimpLB41X

Tue Feb 19, 2002 2:35 am

I spent my commercial training flying the cheapest aircraft possible flying all over the southeast to get up to all those cross country hours and total hours. In my case it was the Cessna 150 Aerobat. Just make sure the airplane is IFR equipped so you can get plenty of practice buzzing around under an IFR flight plan and learning the system. I learned a TREMENDOUS amount doing this.

It really didnt take a whole lot of practice on the chandelles, 8's on pylons, and lazy eights. Just get an instructor to go up with you a few times to make sure you get them down, then go and practice them on your own. Then when you get close to meeting your flight time requirements, get a CFI to go with you again to review the manuevers and make sure they are up to the PTS standards and review the oral exam stuff with you. (Don't forget to take the written exam.) Schedule with a DE and take the checkride... it is basically a glorified private pilot checkride.

I did mine in a multi-engine plane and also got my multi-engine instrument rating the same ride, so didnt have to do the chandelles and such on the first ride, just hte steep turns to 50 degrees and a bunch of engine out stuff and IAP's. I went back a month later and did the single engine add on.

Hope this helps.. email me with any further questions.
Chicks dig winglets.

Ziggy

Wed Feb 20, 2002 11:55 am

Just a suggestion, if your building time and are part 61. If you have approx 20hrs left, then state your Multi-training just to knock off some hrs and save a little money. Then when you get down to 10 left, start on Comm manuvers with a CFI, get signed off. Take the exam, then turn around and knock out the MEL quick.

norseman

Wed Feb 20, 2002 12:20 pm

I would have to say that the chandelles and lazy eights are the hardest maneuvers for my students to learn. I found that visualizing as well as chair flying the maneuvers at home helps immensely. Learn the maneuvers! Don't just go out and fly them, study them. Go throught your PTS and hold yourself to those standards or even above those standards. Remember, the lazy eight is supposed to be lazy. Don't try to muscle the maneuver. Finesse it. Good luck!

DG_pilot

Thu Feb 21, 2002 7:18 am

I want to THANK everyone so far on the GREAT replies.

I know on every maneuver there are little tricks (usually untaught) that might help ya out, so does anyone know of any that they found particularly helpful?

What about useful texts?