EGGD
Topic Author

Idea For The Tech/ops Forum...

Sat Feb 23, 2002 5:53 pm

Sorry, for posting this here, I know it should be in the non-av but I thought it would be good for everyone who 'resides' here to put in their input.

I have noticed, that just like other forums, the tech/ops forum gets alot of repeat subjects, and it happens very often. I know that you can stop this by searching before you post, but I have found that if I am looking for a topic that I know exists, I still can't find it because it isn't worded right.

Now, how about having a sort of 'FAQ' topic that stays at the top, where all the questions that are relatively basic and crop up on numerous occaisions (ie. How contrails are made and how an aircraft can fly, produce lift etc). All these questions could be here, answered by one of the experts, worded so its easy to understand for everyone.

The topic for the title could be 'Want to post a topic? Make sure it hasn't been answered here already' or similar.

What do you think?

Dan  Smile

bio15

RE: Idea For The Tech/ops Forum...

Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:52 am

Interesting, you could e-mail the administrator perhaps and see if he can do that sort of thing, without it being a post so it doesn't have to be replied to to be kept on top.

-bio

VapourTrails

RE: Idea For The Tech/Ops Forum

Sun Feb 24, 2002 12:39 pm

EGGD, that sounds like a good idea. FAQ which would take you to all the subjects related to contrails, for example. I think the search function could be improved.

Searching by subject can be difficult sometimes because the topics can be very non-descriptive. If you search by message content as well you can get too many, and there is no searching by date parameters available, which would narrow down the search, if it was a few months back. At the moment you can click on More >> half a dozen times before you find what you need or remember reading a while back. My 2c.

Smile =
-VapourTrails = 2001-2004, 2014-

RyDawg82

RE: Idea For The Tech/ops Forum...

Sun Feb 24, 2002 1:04 pm

Great idea....In addition, this would take a lot of work but be worth it, have a table.....Lets say I want to know about what that little screw thing is spinning on a 727's wings when the flaps are extending....Knowing me i would put that as the topic...But...How about having a section as mentioned, where I could click on Boeing 727, down drops sub catagories, one of which is "wing" and it could even be broken down further to "flaps"....Then have the posts there.....Here I would quickly be able to see if anyone had told me already that I was watching the screw jacks on the 727's flaps....

Lot of work to catalog the posts as such, but it would make for a great knowledge bank...Ryan