UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Whats The Difference Between Int'l Airport

Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:13 pm

I was told that an airport doesn't actually have to have an international flight to be an International airport, that it actually had some technical ATC meaning. Ex. MHT Harrisburg PA has no Intl flights yet is called an international airport. Can anyone tell me why?
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

Bjones

RE: Whats The Difference Between Int'l Airport

Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:22 pm

Any airport with the ability to handle international flights can be called an international airport. This would mean that customs and related services would be available although sometimes advance arrangements must be made to ensure staffing (beyond the normal customs notification that you are arriving). Just because their are no scheduled international passenger flights does not mean there are no scheduled freighters or unsheduled charters, corporate or general aviation international flights.

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:30 pm

IC so an int'l flt in a corporate jet has to land in PHL it can't land in PNE.
A little less Hooah, and a little more Dooah.

Bjones

Sun Feb 24, 2002 3:38 pm

Generally speaking international airport equals customs and everything else is not. But that is not strictly true, for instance I looked up PNE and with prior permission 24 hours in advance customs can be arranged there with some extra paperwork. I'm not sure if there is an extra charge and they may only approve it if the request doesn't appear at all unusual.

delta-flyer

Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:59 am

The airport I use is "international" although there are only domestic passenger flights. However, with the availability of customs, businesses can import goods, process them, and re-export them easily. There are also numerous freight companies located here, and I often see foreign cargo aircraft.

BTW, the airport is JAN, Jackson, Mississippi.

Pete
"In God we trust, everyone else bring data"