XXXX10
Topic Author

Route Direct

Wed Feb 27, 2002 3:24 am

Can any pilots tell me the furthest direct routing they have been given, i have read of aircraft given direct routings of nearly a thousand miles-can anyone top that

thanks

donder10

RE: Route Direct

Wed Feb 27, 2002 3:59 am

I have heard routings of around 700 miles at like 3/4 am for EL Al/AC flights

ramper@iah

Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:23 am

I've been given a heading from Saginaw, MI (MBS) direct to Waco, TX (ACT). I don't know how far it is, but its the longest one I've ever gotten.

N400QX

Wed Feb 27, 2002 5:01 am

Not that I am a pilot (yet-- hehe), I listen to ATC quite a bit and I hear lots of American flights get "direct DFW" clearance from Seattle Center once they've got past the mountain. That is just one off the top of my head...

Lubicon

Wed Feb 27, 2002 7:34 am

I once heard a business jet get cleared direct to Tulsa from Calgary once he informed ATC he was GPS equipped. Distance is 1365 miles.

timz

Wed Feb 27, 2002 7:59 am

I haven't listened to the transcon red-eyes out of SFO lately-- but I once heard Oakland Center clear an SFO-JFK flight direct to Wilkes-Barre. That doesn't happen in the daytime.

ZID

Wed Feb 27, 2002 11:47 am

You name it, you got it. If it is between small airports then it doesn't matter. Coming off of Newport News, Virginia going to Redding, California you can get direct anytime that you want just as soon as you enter Indy center airspace. The larger airports out west we usually aren't allowed to go direct past the last fix in Kansas City center airspace during the day, so Garden City, Kansas or Liberal, Kansas are about as far as we can go. Going into the busy east coast corridor they usually don't clear them direct past Indy center just because we have to get them on preferrential routes prior to entering Washington or Cleveland centers. Everything on the east coast is very regimented into corridors.

Midnight shifts are fun. Indy Center is far and away the busiest midnight center because of all of the cargo operations at SDF, IND, CVG, ILN, DAY, etc... and when they come off it's quite fun to issue direct LAX, direct O'Hare, direct JFK, etc... Never get to do that in the daytime.
I'm not joking! This is my job!

ywg_jy

Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:02 pm

Off hand, some of the longest at work that I've seen and/or given:

CYEG - KDOV
CYHM - CYVR
CYWG - SAT

Wed Feb 27, 2002 1:16 pm

On a routine basis we will be cleared from Klamath Falls, OR (LMT) to the Wilkes-Barre VOR (LVZ) when we're going to the East Coast. The distance is about 2035 NM. We also get direct clearances out of the Seattle area down into Florida on a regular basis. Assuming that the aircraft have long-range nav equipment installed direct clearances are routine - provided you can get to FL370 or above. Below that altitude it can be somewhat harder to get direct clearances because of the increased airline traffic down at those lower altitudes.

Jetguy

JetCaptain

Wed Feb 27, 2002 2:20 pm

The other day I heard an American Airlines flight out of LAX enroute to BOS, about 20 miles southwest of Las Vegas (LAS) get cleared direct to Jamestown (JHW), New York. That's about 1720 nautical miles, and this was in the morning at around 1600Z (0800PST).

I've also heard flights late at night out of JFK enroute to LAX get cleared direct to destination shortly after takeoff.

JC

L-188

Wed Feb 27, 2002 9:18 pm

I once filed a Learjet Direct Bet-BFI.

The wind gods where with us and the aircraft was able to make the trip non-stop.

Close to 1600 miles.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Sat Mar 02, 2002 6:50 pm

Whats the highest level you fly at jetguy?

Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:35 am

Notar...
All of our corporate jets are certified to FL450 or 45,000 feet. However, we rarely, if ever, operate the two Astra SP's or the Galaxy above FL410. The Astra SPX is a different breed of cat. It's extra power allows to to go to FL450 routinely.

Jetguy

covert

Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:26 am

how about Abidjan-Johannesburg, and Accra-Johannesburg? 2700NM
none

hawkeye2

Fri Mar 15, 2002 9:16 am

It looks to me like most of these direct clearances would cross the juristiction of more than one control center.

If someone, in say, Oakland ARTCC clears you direct to somewhere far in the east, like LVZ, do they have to coordinate with the other ARTCCs beforehand and ensure that there will be no conflict? Or can they automatically see that there will be no traffic in the other FIRs? Or do they just clear them direct, and say "let the other centers sort it out, hee hee"  Smile?

Sun Mar 17, 2002 1:07 am

Hawkeye,
You're correct, we are routinely given direct clearances that transition multiple centers' airspace. In the case of one of our common trips, Seattle - Teterboro, we even transit Canadian airspace (Toronto Center) for a little while when we are on the "direct" portion of the trip prior to picking up one of the STARS into the NYC area. I'm not sure what the mechanics of the process are - one of the ARTCC controllers on the forum will have to do that - but from the pilot's prospective it's nearly seamless.