lanperu

All The Costs In A Commercial Flight

Sat Mar 09, 2002 6:10 pm

Does anyone know what exactly the fare that we pay goes for?

Arsenal@LHR

RE: All The Costs In A Commercial Flight

Sat Mar 09, 2002 11:45 pm

i heard in a discovery channel programme that, a 744 flight from london to new york costs around 20,000 pounds. I guess some of the fare we pay for the flight goes towards stuff like fuel, catering etc. not 100% sure though.
In Arsene we trust!!

FredT

Sun Mar 10, 2002 12:51 am

Fuel, crew pay, airport fees, tax, catering, handling and other services, writeoffs on the airframe...

Cheers,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

AAR90

Tue Mar 12, 2002 1:52 am

Everything! It's the company's revenue that must be used to pay the company's expenses..... all the expenses.
*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

lehpron

Tue Mar 12, 2002 2:52 am

Fuel, crew pay, airport fees, tax, catering, handling and other services, writeoffs on the airframe...

Hey Fred, do you happen to know those in percentages for any particular airplane? Are they in order from most to least?
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.

FredT

Tue Mar 12, 2002 3:40 am

No, listed in the order they stumbled out of the heap of unsorted information which is my memory.  Smile

AAR90 points out another important fact. There's always administration and bureaucracy to pay off as well. If we didn't have those, things might actually get done in an expedient and sensible manner at times and we can't have that, can we?! Big grin

Cheers,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

AAR90

Tue Mar 12, 2002 10:48 am

>...do you happen to know those in percentages for any particular airplane?

This is about the only expense information a scheduled air carrier in the USA is permitted to actually keep private (i.e. virtually everything else is required to be reported to the DOT in DOT format). You'll find generic information (guesses really) published in various formats by various public and private entities if you look for it. However; based upon what little detailed information I was privy to at AA the numbers are not close to what management uses in its decision making process.

*NO CARRIER* -- A Naval Aviator's worst nightmare!

tbar220

Tue Mar 12, 2002 3:00 pm

What about money that goes into making the route profitable? I mean if it is profitable, you're just gonna have "extra money" after all that is spent on the flight is necessary. Can't forget about that.

Of course, so many flights don't make money nowadays.
NO URLS in signature

VS11

Sat Mar 16, 2002 12:09 am

I know that this is not exactly answering the question about a particular flight but this is a cost break-down for International Scheduled Services according to IATA. The figures are for 1997 but compared to other years, they are in the same range with some exception. Unfortunately, I do not have newer data.

Here it goes:

Cockpit crew - 7.5%
Fuel and oil - 13.0%
Flight Equipment insurance, depreciation and rental 12.8%
Maintenance and overhaul - 9.6%
Landing charges - 5.3%
En-route charges - 4.3%
Station and ground costs-11.8%
Cabin crew and passenger service - 13.0%
Ticketing, sales and promotion - 16.4%
General and administrative - 6.3%

They all add up to 100%. Although different flights contribute in different proportions, you can expect that the cost of a flight is composed of the same components with the same ratio, except for fuel, and now probably for insurance policies in view of the 9/11 tragedy.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
VS11