Mr Spaceman
Topic Author

What Is This Antenna's Function?

Tue Mar 12, 2002 5:28 am

Hi guys.

What is the function of the silver square antenna on the red & white pole in the photos below? Is it part of the Localizer Antenna system? I suspect that the main LOC antennas are the several white boat shaped objects (over 12 of them) located across the width of the runway several feet above the grass.

I'm curious because I've never seen antennas which looks like these ones at the end of runways here in North America.

Also, are these antennas over in Europe newer/better technology then those used in Canada & the USA?

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Charles Falk

Click for large version

Photo © Charles Falk

Click for large version

Photo © Charles Falk

Chris  Smile
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

Markus

RE: What Is This Antenna's Function?

Tue Mar 12, 2002 7:32 am

It could be a noise measuring device to make sure operators are adhearing to noise abaitment procedures when departing on the opposite runway, Just an idea.
Cheers,
Markus

Mr Spaceman
Topic Author

Tue Mar 12, 2002 8:13 am

Hi Markus.

Well, hey I guess that's possible. It does kinda look like a giant fancy microphone. One things for sure...I've never seen an object like this up on a pole along the extended centerline at the end of a runway at any airports I've been to in North America. That's why I was wondering if it's European technology, and only used over there.

Chris  Smile

david b.

Tue Mar 12, 2002 11:11 am

Can it be an ILS?

Ohohoh I know..the antanna is used to entertain airfans Big thumbs up
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

Ziggy

Tue Mar 12, 2002 12:30 pm

For the U.S. at least I know this is what the Glideslope Antenna looks like. (could find a closer one) The antenna is the red an white stucture on the hill on the left side of the runway. But about the mystery antenna, I have no clue.

Click for large version

Photo © Evan Gillespie

Ziggy  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

zeke

Tue Mar 12, 2002 3:03 pm

Middle marker for the ILS, aircraft should pass about 200 ft above this, its about 0.6 nm (1000m) from the runway. Its normally at the same place/close to the decision height for a CAT 1 ILS. It transmits at 75 MHz, with a morse ident of dah-dit at 1300 Hz (high pitch).

You will only see these on ILS approaches, on ILS/DME approaches they have no marker.
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

Mr Spaceman
Topic Author

Wed Mar 13, 2002 1:54 am

Hi guys.

>Zeke, Thanks for that great info. Now that I know what it is, it makes me wonder...are the middle marker antennas at North American airports a different design/shape? I ask this because I've never seen one of these antennas in person or in any of the photos at A.Net.

>Ziggy, you're correct. That red & white antenna is the glideslope transmiter. As you can see, it's beside both the Precision Approach Path Indicator (PAPI) lights as well as the runway's large white Touchdown Zone markers. BTW, great photo!

Chris  Smile

zeke

Fri Mar 15, 2002 3:58 am

Chris,

If the runway is served by an ILS/DME it does not need markers, an ILS requires markers. The markers provide check point to pilots as they do an ILS, if they have an ILS/DME they can use the DME distance for the checkpoint.

The antenna may be combined with other equipment such as approach lighting.

Without knowing the distance from the touch down zone, it could also be an inner marker.

You could look at the following sites.

http://www.xetron.com/~daled/navaids/

http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/AERO/navimages/ILSimages.html

Z
We are addicted to our thoughts. We cannot change anything if we cannot change our thinking – Santosh Kalwar

Mr Spaceman
Topic Author

Fri Mar 15, 2002 7:59 am

Hello Zeke.

Thanks for your reply. The information & photos in the links you posted were great.

There were no marker antennas in the photos that look like the one I'm curious about, however, I'm sure that this square antenna is a marker (middle or inner) that's simply a different design.

Take Care,

Chris  Smile