david b.

Radar Location

Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:47 am

ARTCCs control airspace for hundred sometimes thousands of square miles. Are radars located on the site of the ARTCC or located elsewhere too.

For example Boston Center control the sirspace in upstate NY all the way to Buffalo. Buffalo is nearly 300 miles from Boston. Do radars have the ability to trach a plane in Buffalo all the way from Boston? Or are relay needed?
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

RE: Radar Location

Sat Mar 30, 2002 5:57 am

Aerea Control uses a mass of radar sensors, and they are usually displayed at the same time trough a computer generated mosaic.
The number om sensors vary with the terrain, and at what altitude radar service is performed. High terrain=> many sensors, flat terrain=>less sensors.
The radar sensors themselvs are located at vantage points around the countryside, generally on top of hills or mountains. It is allso fairly usual to have radars situated at the airports, to get good radar coverage at low level in the approach area.

For us in hour tower, the radar display uses one MSSR radar sensor only, with the option to choose a backup SSR sensor in case of failure!  Smile

RE: Radar Location

Sun Mar 31, 2002 6:50 am

Ive wondered that as well.

I was flying through a rather large range, at a low enough level that both side could not see me from the groud, yet I was still in radar contact, and voice contact.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.