MIG54
Topic Author

Parachutes For Brakeing

Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:38 am

I saw an interesting photograph here at airliners today. It shows an SAS Caravelle with a brakeing parachute deployed. I know early Caravelles did not have thrust reversers but I had never seen one with a parachute brake system. Was this a manufacturers option? Did any other early commercial jet types have this feature?

RE: Parachutes For Brakeing

Sat Mar 30, 2002 9:55 am

A lot, if not most, 20, 35, & 36 series Learjets had chutes. They fit in a "coffee-can" sized container in the belly of the airplane aft of the trailing edge of the wing. I only deployed them a time or two, more for amusement than anything else. The Lear had excellent brakes,

Jetguy

apathoid

Sat Mar 30, 2002 11:00 am

I only deployed them a time or two, more for amusement than anything else.

...and your mechanic thanks you for it... Have you ever had to pack one of those SOB's??? Not a lot of fun.

Sat Mar 30, 2002 11:12 am

Actually, I helped him repack it every time we did it. And we only did it when it was due for a repack. You're right, it is truly a pain in the @$$. I still don't know how we got all of that cloth into that tiny can. Personally, I always try to take advantage of opportunities like that. It's best to find out how well something works when you have time to play with it a bit.

apathoid

Sat Mar 30, 2002 11:14 am

In my career, there was only one time where a crew I worked with needed the chute. They pulled it and it didn't work. Oops. I don't think I would count on it to save my ass for sure. That six month repack requirement is a real ball buster. No doubt.

Sat Mar 30, 2002 11:58 am

Our Lear had both T/Rs and a chute. I never really felt that either one was a necessity, but it was nice to have the T/Rs. Our chute opened everytime I tried, but I agree with you I would never count on it. It was pretty much a non-event when you deployed it - you didn't feel much at all, just a slight tug followed by a slightly faster than normal deceleration. It was most effective from touchdown through about 80 knots or so, after that I don't think it did much. We released the chute on the runway and always had a crew standing by to recover it - you didn't want to get the bloody thing hung up on anything - they were pretty expensive to replace. I was pretty surprised when I saw it. I quess that I was expecting a round chute like a jet fighter's, instead the Lear's chute is shaped like a large +, just like the ones on dragsters. Somewhere I have a picture that was taken of us when we deployed the chute. If I can find it, I'll post it. It's actually pretty cool.

Jetguy

apathoid

Sat Mar 30, 2002 12:12 pm

Did your lid survive? Lear says they will, but I am not convinced.

Sat Mar 30, 2002 12:54 pm

It's been a while, I had forgotten all about the lids. I know that it went through at least two deployments without braking, but I think we did have to replace it once. Our mechanic kept a spare on hand "just in case". I don't know why, we never popped the chute except when it needed repacking, it wasn't like it was something that we did every day. I also seem to remember seeing chutes on some Falcon 20's, but I'm not positive about that. I'm not sure about any other bizjet installations.

Jan Mogren

Sat Mar 30, 2002 11:58 pm

The Caravelle 3 had the chute
http://home.swipnet.se/airline/brakechute.html

and also the early version TU-134. Haven't been able to find any photos.

Here is the TU-104

Click for large version
Click here for full size photo!

Photo © Lars Söderström

I don't know about the TU-124.
Didn't early pix of Concorde show the chute?

It's rare to see but sure looks cool!
/JM
AeroPresentation - Airline DVD's filmed in High Definition