VH-DAQ

The Use Of Scanners In Flight?

Mon Apr 01, 2002 10:21 pm

hi,

i was wondering if i was to use a small radio reciever, not transmitter while on a flight, would this have any detramental effect or would it be unsafe?

cheers
DAQ

FredT

RE: The Use Of Scanners In Flight?

Mon Apr 01, 2002 11:27 pm

A receiver contains an oscillator circuit. Theoretically, if this circuit isn't properly shielded, it can act as a transmitter and interfer with aircraft systems. Whether this is really a risk or not has been debated a lot in various forums recently without any clear conclusions so it is possible. The behaviour of electromagnetic radiation in a metal tube such as an aircraft fuselage appears to be rather hard to predict, with nodes forming in unexpected points. If in doubt, ask the cabin crew. That way, they'll know where to look for the cause of any irregular indications.

Cheers,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

YWG

Wed Apr 03, 2002 10:06 am

LOL! Big thumbs up I asked if I could use a walk man (AM/FM) and they wouldn't let me. SO good luck with a scanner.
Contact Winnipeg center now on 134.4, good day.

Herman

Thu Apr 04, 2002 12:07 am

Don't bother telling you have a scanner.

As for me, I just use it during flight. The flight was apparently very smooth.

Cheers,
Herman  Smokin cool

auswnfan

Thu Apr 04, 2002 1:23 am

Herman,

Please advise me of you flight activites. I want to avoid
flying with a person who ignores safety of flight rules!!!

FredT

Thu Apr 04, 2002 8:28 pm

Herman,
please stay on the ground. You really don't belong in aircraft. How do you know it went very smooth? Perhaps they hat TIT fluctuations the entire flight? Perhaps they had to get the engines checked before the next flight due to this? Perhaps they had to ask for a less safe non-precision approach since your scanner made the instrument landing system act up? Do you think they'd tell the pax? No.

I'm 99.99% certain this was not the case, at least if you are using a modern scanner which hasn't been tampered with. Modern equipment is generally very good when it comes to keeping the internal frequencies internal. But that last tenth of a promille is enough to make me keep scanner and cellphone off in the air.

/Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

jwenting

Thu Apr 04, 2002 11:22 pm

"use of equipment with an antenna is not allowed during any phase of the flight".
This sentence (or one very close to it) is part of any cabin announcement I've heard in the last 10 years at least.

Last time I looked, my scanner (the radio kind...) had a quite distinct antenna.

Now, where is that statement in the cabin announcement unclear about the use of equipment with an antenna? Nowhere does it mention that such equipment must be equipped to transmit on demand to fall under the ban...
I wish I were flying

Fri Apr 05, 2002 7:00 am

I've always wondered this about my portable aviation GPS unit. Obviously it is proporly shielded or it wouldn't be approved for aviation. I use it all the time when I'm flying, but would I be able to use it during a commercial airline flight? It's a Garmin GPS III Pilot.

Cameron

jwenting

Fri Apr 05, 2002 8:11 am

Cameron, your unit should be safe.
The rules are general so both passengers and flight attendants without technical training know what to do.
The airlines/FAA/whoever could make it "use of equipment with an antenna is not permitted unless the equipment is certified for use in an operating aircraft by XXX" but that would mean the cabin crew would have to check each and every thing someone wants to use against a list of approved devices (and that someone would have to update that list at least once a day as new devices enter the market all the time).
If you want to use it, just ask. The worst that can happen is that they say no or have to ask the captain (as it is his aircraft).
I wish I were flying

b744

Fri Apr 05, 2002 2:05 pm

FredT is spot on. As far as whether they are prevented from being used or not - depends on the airline and country I guess. I haven't done that much flying within USA but most of the airlines that I have travelled with (NZ, QF, CX, BA, SQ etc) only prevent the use of transmitting equipment whilst in flight. Maybe things are more stringent in the US.

ewr757

Fri Apr 05, 2002 10:36 pm

It would be prohibited on any US carrier.

GPS is ok, but check with the Captain.

L-188

Fri Apr 05, 2002 10:48 pm

Most airlines realize that their flight crews are too dumb to realize what equiptment is going to cause problems and which wont.

That is why they make general rules, so a F/A doesn't have to figure out that your 30 year old Manual Cannon camera doesn't even have electronics in it...

Go ahead. Ask me why I am saying this
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

auswnfan

Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:52 am

I'll bite. L-188, why are you saying this?

L-188

Sat Apr 06, 2002 12:55 am

I take it you never have ratted out by a cabin crew for taking a picture of the wing of an airplane with a MANUAL camera. Manual as in no electronics

FredT

Sat Apr 06, 2002 1:06 am

L-188,
have you ever been told by a 'chemically inspired' cabin crew member at a party that it is a highly skilled profession requiring lots of training? I have. I guess telling a manual camera from a radio transmitter isn't part of that. Big grin

I'm very impressed by the people skills displayed by most CC members though. I could never put up with pax the way they do. I wouldn't last one flight before telling some bugger to go do something obscene to close relatives, representatives of the local fauna or both, rather than smiling and asking if they want more coffee...

Cheers,
Fred

L-188

Sat Apr 06, 2002 1:17 am

To be honest I have found that most of the time how dumb you really are depends on either, what you do or where you are from.

lol