ORD1985
Topic Author

Denver Push-Back

Mon Apr 08, 2002 12:48 am

I was coming back from Denver a little while ago and I noticed on push back they push us straight back and then the aircraft just turns and starts taxing. At Chicago O'Hare they push the plane out and then to the left or right. That seems to be the norm at all of the airports I've been too. Does anyone know the reason for that? I'm curious to see if they do that to 747s out in Denver. I imagine they'd have to push that mother out pretty far.

bio15

RE: Denver Push-Back

Mon Apr 08, 2002 2:40 am

I've seen straight pushbacks at El Dorado here in Bogotá several times. I'm pretty sure there is not a 'rule' of pushbacking straight, and nose left/right. As long as the aircraft is at a safe distance to perform a turn to the left or right, straight pushbacks are ok. Experts please correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm almost 100% sure on this one.

-bio

RyDawg82

Mon Apr 08, 2002 12:41 pm

Almost all A/C at DEN are pushed straight back, there is actually a marking for each gate that the plane is pushed too...On the 777, 747 and back with the DC10 a slight angle is put in the push, this allows for adaqute turning clearence at the widebody gates. Ry
You can take the pup out of Alaska, but you can't take the Alaska out of the pup.

flashmeister

Mon Apr 08, 2002 12:55 pm

If I recall correctly, the concourses at DEN were spaced so that there could be two planes directly across from each other pushing back at the same time and still have two "lanes" of traffic for aircraft free to move... so there's not much of a need for a turn on any of those a/c on pushback.

Goldenshield

Wed Apr 10, 2002 4:00 pm

This is the same at PHX, terminal D. Here, they have two taxi lines, must still must turn all the aircraft slightly for it to be able to turn out.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.