DG_pilot
Topic Author

Most Strange/Unexpected Checkride Question?

Thu Apr 11, 2002 5:37 am

On your checkrides, what were the most strange or unexpected questions the DEs asked? What were your answers? You all can probably imagine why I'm asking this.

Thanks a Ton in Advance!

PPGMD

RE: Most Strange/Unexpected Checkride Question?

Thu Apr 11, 2002 6:08 am

"Whats that?" <-Pointing to some aircraft on the field

I'm paying $300 and hes looking at the aircraft on the field instead of watching my run up.
At worst, you screw up and die.

Ralgha

Thu Apr 11, 2002 6:10 am

Question: "Want to go get some lunch?"

Answer: "Sure!"

He paid for it too.  Big thumbs up
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

JETPILOT

Thu Apr 11, 2002 9:19 am

Heres a good one....

Your cleared for an expedited departure. The controller fit you in just before a company 757 3 miles out inbound.

You line up.... below the line checklist complete. You look over at the captain and his shoulder harness isn't on.... what do you do? before reeading on try to answer it yourself....

Most respond..... "go flying", or "I tell him to put it on".... Examiner says.... "Its a checklist item. What other checklist items did you forget".

Correct response: That situation wouldnt happen.... because all checklist items are supposed to be double checked.... captains responses should be visually confirmed by the copilot as each item is read and vice versa.

It's a good question.....

JET

SkyGuy11

Thu Apr 11, 2002 9:42 am

^ NO FAIR! TRICK QUESTION  Smile!!!

L-188

Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:21 pm

"What the hell was that....!?!" Yelled in terror after a bag of potato chips that I bought from the vending machine and left in my flight bag exploded.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Thu Apr 11, 2002 2:49 pm

"You know this is our only chance at landing, right?"

My examiner on my multi-engine checkride after we had actually lost an engine. It was a hot humid day, and the airplane was full of fuel still...so a go-around in that weak airplane would have just made us a lawnmower. I landed the airplane fine and he signed me off as a multi-engine pilot.  Smile Oh the things ive learned on checkrides.
Chicks dig winglets.

PW4084

Thu Apr 11, 2002 4:39 pm

Boy this thread just forced some memories I've been trying to repress for years to the surface.....read on and learn how not to kick off your instrument checkride.

As I walked up to the airport to meet up with my DE, it turns out he's waiting for me outside the terminal building smoking a cigarette. I've never met him before and as far as I know he's just some guy sitting outside enjoying the fresh morning air. He asks me point blank as I walk up to the door:

'Mr. Gasper I presume, if you are making position reports and find that your ETA you gave ATC to be in error, how many minutes does the discrepancy have to be before you must provide them with a revised ETA????'

Well I kind of froze on the spot, I definitely didn't expect my ground eval to begin the second I met the guy and after I stuttered for a few seconds I decided that the answer was 3 minutes and told him. He then proceeded to ask me why I was 40 minutes late to my checkride. When I'd arranged the time/date about a month earlier we decided to meet at 0600 and I must have written down 0700. So here I come be-bopping along at 0640, thinking I will appear sharp because I am early and prepared...well needless to say I figured I'd shot myself in the foot in a big way. Thankfully the checkride went well from there and I went on to fly with that DE for my Commercial/Multi and then again when I added on my MEI.

sometimes I wonder how I ever made it past the basics...

PW4084

ThirtyEcho

Thu Apr 11, 2002 10:27 pm

On my instrument checkride we had an actual attitude indicator failure about 5 minutes after takeoff. It was a vacuum leak to the instrument and the AI response just got slower and slower until it rolled over and died. The DE asked "Isn't this great? You can do the whole ride partial panel, OK?" We did and I passed. I look back on it now as kinda fun.

DG_pilot
Topic Author

Fri Apr 12, 2002 5:36 am

I remember the worst thing on my IR ride was the endless barage of alternate questions from all sides. It was cross-fire at its max.

I circled the wagons and drove em' back!  Wink/being sarcastic

CX Flyboy

Fri Apr 12, 2002 12:47 pm

I was asked what day Jeppessen releases new charts!! I had no idea at the time but I think Friday was the answer!

KAUSpilot

Tue Apr 16, 2002 2:39 pm

"Why the hell didn't you clean the bugs off the windshield before we left? I can't see a damn thing."

-PPL checkride, one week ago today.

Diego

Wed Apr 17, 2002 3:07 am

hi one of the weirdest question I was asked was during my private check ride, the examiner asked me how do you figure out if the fuel guy messed up with the fuel and pumped J1 fuel in your tank? I came up with a lot of thinking about the color you get if you blend yellow and blue but the correct answer was no color, if two different types of fuel are blended to gether they chemically react and the result is no color.

DG_pilot
Topic Author

Wed Apr 17, 2002 6:17 am

Interesting--I didn't know that.

barney captain

Thu Apr 18, 2002 4:13 pm

...My 737 type ride........"ok son, now I know you studied hard but let me ask ya', what's the only light in the cockpit that spells the same forward and backward?".......after some thought it dawned on me.

PULL UP
Southeast Of Disorder

flightsimfreak

Sun Apr 21, 2002 3:55 pm

About the fuel... when you do the test with the tester under the wing... when you throw it onto the tarmac, it should evaporate quickly, I.e. before you get done with your preflight. Jet fuel doesn't evaporate that quickly, and when it does, it leaves an oily stain on the tarmac. Another way to test this is with a buisness card; dip it in your fuel sample, and if when it evaporates, you don't see a stain, it's not jet fuel... but if there is a stain it's not avgas.

flyn

Tue Apr 23, 2002 4:43 pm

How to smack a passenger if he or she goeos crazy on you. Never expected that one. And I was so nervouse he ask me if I had a STATE PIN number (Prisoner) I had no clue what he was saying Unitll he told me he was joking

Herman

Wed Apr 24, 2002 10:26 pm

Hi,

PPL Checkride :

Examiner : Do you think you can pass ?

Student : (Thinks for awhile and wonders if its a trick question.) YES, definitely !

Examiner : In that case, we don't have to do this. I can give you your licence now. Plus .. $$$$

Only in Indonesia

Cheers,
Herman  Smokin cool