Sonic99
Topic Author

A320 Rear Fuselage Vent?

Sun Apr 28, 2002 9:52 am

Hi folks,

On my recent forray to the airport, watching aircraft being serviced at the gates, I again noticed an open "vent" (not really sure what it is?) at the rear of the fuselage on the A320 which sparked my curiosity. I've seen this before but never quite paid attention to it. At first I dismissed this open "vent" as perhaps something the ground crew overlooked. But as the aircraft taxied away I realized it must be controlled by the pilots.

The "vent" in question is clearly seen in these two photos at the rear of the fuselage just below the door. It only appears on the right (starboard) side of the aircraft.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stephan Curkowskyj

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Stephan Curkowskyj

What exactly is this little trap door, what purpose does it serve and how is it operated and when? I've noticed this on the A319 and A320. Do other aircraft have this as well?

Thanks for your insight,

Stephan

rmm

RE: A320 Rear Fuselage Vent?

Sun Apr 28, 2002 10:14 am

It's the outflow valve. It regulates the flow of air leaving the cabin so it can be pressurised. It can be controlled in an automatic or manual way but mostly, if not all, automatic. It will start to close just after take off.

Yes, all other pressurised aircraft will have a similar door/doors or system.

Rmm

shaun3000

RE: A320 Rear Fuselage Vent?

Sun Apr 28, 2002 2:50 pm

Most planes have a butterfly valve instead of a vent. This is a hole with a round cover, which is connected and pivots about the middle. It can be easily seen on MD-80s.

Also, many planes have a second vent, usually in the tail section, which is for hte APU. however, these point foward so as to scoop are in if it is used in flight. Some are a scoop, such as on the 767, and others are a vent style, like on the 737.