flyn

What Kind Of College Degree

Tue Apr 30, 2002 4:58 pm

What Kind of college degree is a Private pilot license and helicopter does it count toward anything in college world? And if not anything yet what type of ratings do have a degree

broke

RE: What Kind Of College Degree

Wed May 01, 2002 1:35 am

College degrees are not required for any flight ratings. However, if you are planning to fly professionally, a college degree is an asset and often a requirement. There are schools that provide professional degreed programs that include flight training and obtaining various flight ratings. I don't think I can plug my own school, which does have such a program, but if you look at the ads in various aviation periodicals you will see schools listed with these programs.
The programs can seem to be very expensive, but if you look at the potential income you will receive once you begin your career, you will see that the payback is pretty good. There are scholarships available, but generally your high school grades or your current ecomonic standing will determine what scholarships might be available to you. Good luck!

shaun3000

Wed May 01, 2002 2:14 pm

Ratings do not come with college degrees... however, at most colleges that offer flight programs (Embry-Riddle, Saint Louis U, etc) you will receive credit for whatever ratings yuo have prior to registering at the school.

FOr example, at my school (Saint Louis U), if you come in with a private with instrument, multi, and complex ratings, then you get credit for eight classes (four ground classes, four flight "labs") But you still have to take lots of other classes to get a degree. This is assuming you are majoring in Aviation Science/Pro. Pilot. If you choose a different major, then the flight credits would only count as electives.

flyn

Wed May 01, 2002 4:57 pm

thanks
I was just curios ,you know its a big deal for people to say things Lie I have a college degree in this or that and I have never completed sixth grade my self and have a license in fix-wing and helicopter . So I thought it could be something That I could brag about. But I guess not I guess I will go back to school and become a brain surgeon be back in ten years.. (joke)

jhooper

Thu May 02, 2002 1:14 pm

I've heard some colleges will give you a certain number of credit hours if you show up with certain ratings.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.