Eastern L1011
Topic Author

Civil Vs. Military Headsets

Wed May 01, 2002 9:50 pm

I am in the process of starting private pilot lessons and obviously I would like to use my own headset. My boyfreind was a Bomb/Nav in B-52's and he has some really nice headsets leftover from his career. I am pretty sure that the connections are different between civil and military aircraft. Is there any type of adapter made so I can use a military headset in a civilian aircraft? Thanks in advance,

Eastern L1011

RE: Civil Vs. Military Headsets

Wed May 01, 2002 10:05 pm

Military headsets usually have a singular NATO connector, whereas a civilian headset has two connectors - a separate connector for the mic and the second for the tels (one for talking, one for listening). Adaptors are readily available so you should have no problems.

I assume that the B52 has the standard NATO connector.

RE: Civil Vs. Military Headsets

Thu May 02, 2002 7:41 am

The US military headsets normally have a U-174U male connector, which requires a U-94PTT or U-92A/U female connection. The KC-10 and C-17 are exceptions to this. An adapter may be obtained from Sporties or a number of other retailers, however; military interphone systems are designed for use with military radios, which are low impedance. Civilian radios/headsets are high impedance, and thus a simple adapter may not work. The Nato plugs are AM-626 /AM-671, which is identical to the U-174U in shape, but the connections are different. You can find the impedance adapters on E-bay occasionally, but I am unaware of any current manufactures.

"Never trust a clean Crew Chief"