Pulse Jet Engines

Fri May 03, 2002 7:56 am

Hi i am trying to find some info on Pulse jet engines. I have never heard of them and would like and info, links, etc to learn more.

RE: Pulse Jet Engines

Fri May 03, 2002 3:11 pm

I have been led to believe that a pulsejet is more or less the same as a ramjet, if so then this link will provide some info on it
hope this helps By the way try the engine sim applet it is way cool  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Fri May 03, 2002 3:59 pm

A pulsejet is a pulsed ramjet or scramjet. The pressure is not constant but goes up and down in a pulsating way. This reduces the average pressure so a higher peakpressure can be attained without having to resort to far heavier materials.
I wish I were flying

Fri May 03, 2002 4:33 pm

Fri May 03, 2002 4:48 pm

Pulsejets were used in WW2 by Germany, in their "V1" flying bomb (actually a primitive cruise missile). They had a very distinct "buzzing" sound, hence the popular term, buzz bomb.

Sat May 04, 2002 5:17 am

The Japanese also had a kamakazi-piloted version of Germany's V1, I believe they called it the Baka. If I remember correctly the "buzzing" sound was made by the rapid opening and closing of the engine's shutters.

Tue May 07, 2002 6:17 am

The "Buzz bomb" is a great example, in fact I'm guessing, the only example of a pulse-jet in operation. As I understand, it required an initial velocity so it was launched off a rocket-propelled catapult, then it flew on it's own up to around 400 mph.

Currently there has not been a pulsejet that can start from standstill, since there is no intake velocity, maybe if a fuel/oxygen mix were sprayed and ignited here an air-rocket could propell it to this minimum speed then it could operate until the minimum speed for ramjets, by then it would run like a ramjet by shutting off the pulse sequence.

I don't know why no one has done this yet , maybe I hypothesizing, or it may be an old Black Project.  Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Hope this helps ya Flywithken.
The meaning of life is curiosity; we were put on this planet to explore opportunities.