popee

What Goes Wrong With The Generator?

Mon May 06, 2002 4:42 pm

The Maintenance Manual of B747 says that when u r going for a hi power run up, the generator must be on line or CSD be disconnected. My querry lies here. What goes wrong if it is not followed and WHY it happens so ?

To keep it going, I would like to furher add that once the generator got fire because of not taking it on line, definitely Gen field was closed and V & F were available. Same thing can be seconded by the Opn Mnl which says to disconnect CSD if Generator does not come on line for any reason. Big Question is why fire took place, definitely CSD oil level was ok.

One more thing for my info, is this true for all sort of aircrafts to disconnect CSD if gen fail to come on line .

Waiting for your comments. Thanx

avt007

RE: What Goes Wrong With The Generator?

Tue May 07, 2002 2:28 am

My best guess would be that they are worried about a generator that has had bearing failure, or some other internal mechanical fault. If left turning, whether on line or not, the heat build up could cause a fire. As for other a/c, I have not heard of the requirement for disconnecting the csd, if the temperatuers are in the green.

FredT

Tue May 07, 2002 4:50 pm

Speculating here, but couldn't it be that a generator which isn't online does not generate enough resistance to keep the system happy?

Cheers,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

popee

Tue May 07, 2002 7:09 pm

Avt007, I am talking about fire incidence in which case there was nil defect with the csd/gen, but got fire only because it was not on line during hi pwr run up. Definitely mechanical errors r prone to fire.

Fred, can u please elaborate it further.

Thanx.

FredT

Tue May 07, 2002 7:45 pm

Popee,
if you're not taking out any power from a generator, the torque required to turn it will be far less than when you do.

Cheers,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

popee

Wed May 08, 2002 1:30 am

Fred, u r right. Thanx for directing me in that way.