usairways@clt

Help Finding Flight Routing

Tue May 21, 2002 9:49 am

Hi everyone,

I'm looking for a site/program that can give lists of routings that airlines typically use. For example ATL-MCO would be SOONE-J89-OTK... etc. Thanks for any help.

Zach

OPNLguy

RE: Help Finding Flight Routing

Tue May 21, 2002 10:06 am

There are some sites out there where you put the "to" and "from" points and it'll figure a distance, but the only ones I've seen give you the great circle distance, and not the airways, departure procedures (DPs), and arrivals (STARs) that airlines and other IFR traffic use.

If you have a couple of city-paits in mind, I'd be happy to work a couple up for you...

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

PPGMD

Tue May 21, 2002 10:28 am

Some of the online flight planning sites will give you the apporiate instrument routing for the flight, but it probally isn't the ones that the airlines always use.
At worst, you screw up and die.

goboeing

Wed May 22, 2002 5:30 am

Zach,
Try http://www.flightsim.com. This also has a link to Echoplate which has DPs, STARS, and airport charts.

Nick/KPHL

RyDawg82

Wed May 22, 2002 6:44 am

Hello,

Great site to check out...However mainly for Southern California options, ONLY....But still worth a look....
http://www.users.dircon.co.uk/~zzyzx/

Click up top on "Flight Planning Room (New)" and use the drop down menus to select your city pair....

Sample, DEN to LAX...Returns this:ROCKI3.HBU J128 PGS J64 CIVET.CIVET4
Sample, LAX to DEN...Returns this:LOOP2.DAG J146 HBU.POWDR4

Enjoy, Ryan
You can take the pup out of Alaska, but you can't take the Alaska out of the pup.

Big777jet

Mon Jun 03, 2002 1:15 am

I tried many times click "find plans" it doesn't work. Why was that not working?

Big777jet

hawkeye2

Mon Jun 03, 2002 6:31 pm

If you have MS FS, try FSNavigator at http://www.fsnavigator.com/. It has a automatic route function that takes into account airways, and works reasonably well for short to medium haul routes over land. Warning: it does not work well at all for long hauls -- it will give you completely unrealistic routes.

Mon Jun 03, 2002 9:56 pm

Zach...
What you're looking for is a listing of the High Altitude Preferred Routes. I'm sure that they are probably available on the web, but that's not were I personally source them - I use a flight planning program that stores them in its database.

It's Monday morning and I typing this in my hotel room here in Orlando. Yesterday, I flew from our homebase in Klamath Falls, Oregon to Atlanta, then on to Orlando. You are correct about the routing from Atlanta to Orlando. I filed the preferred route you mentioned and was "cleared as filed". The preferred routes are set up to expidite traffic between many (but not all) city pairs that have a lot of traffic volume. (There are also Low Altitude Perferred Routes.) Preferred Routes are commonly used, but not always mandatory - the controllers have a certain amount of latitude here. Personally, I only file them when I'm flying between two cities that are comparetively close together - like Atlanta and Orlando. If I'm going coast to coast, I will file the initial part of the route - about as far as I figure it will take me to get to either FL390 or FL410,depending upon my direction of flight, then I file direct to an appropriate initial fix on one of the STARs that serve the particular airport.

Corporate pilots don't always fly between airline hubs. Most airports don't have perferred routing between them. What the larger airports frequently have are departure and arrival gates that controllors use to route aircraft in and out of the airports. If airports have DPs (SIDs) and/or STARs it's simply a mater of choosing an appropriate DP and STAR then file DIRECT between them. If the airports have neither DP or STAR, we simply file direct.
Jetguy