shaun3000

Taxiing, Takeoff, Landing On First Student Flight

Tue May 21, 2002 12:48 pm

What are your experiences with your first training flight? Specifically, did any of you taxi, takeoff, or land on your own on your VERY FIRST training flight?

I ask as I started my PPL training, today. I've had no experience except computer flight simulators. My instructor had me taxi, takeoff and, after I jokingly asked, land the airplane. ALl went flawlessly. Taxiing was ungainly, but fine once I got the hang of the toe brakes. Take off was a breeze, with my first two maneuvers as a pilot being rotation and a climbing, left turn on departure.

Finally, on approach I was joking with the instructor and asked if he wanted me to land it for him. He said I could do it if I wanted to, which I did, with imput from him on power settings and flap configurations... I stuck the landing, on the centerline, between the numbers and IFR aiming point... According the my instructor, he's never had anyone do as well as that on their first landing, let alone their first FLIGHT. He was quite impressed, to say the least.

This was at Addison Airport (KADS) in Dallas, by the way.

How unusual is this? I wasn't even expecting to taxi or take off, today, let alone LAND the plane!

XFSUgimpLB41X

RE: Taxiing, Takeoff, Landing On First Student Flight

Tue May 21, 2002 1:58 pm

As an instructor... I always let the student taxi and takeoff the airplane. There has been only one person who didnt want to takeoff the airplane their first time. Also, i generally dont let them do the first approach/landing unless they ask.... there have also been occasions where someone catches on so fast or has flown before and i'll let them do the first landing- of course while im riding the controls and talking them through it, with slight control help to guide the airplane into the right position.

Congrats on your first flight, I'm glad it went so well.  Smile My first flight was similar to the ones that i give now... taxi and takeoff the airplane with instructor demonstrating most of the checks.. fly around for a little while, then have me set up for the approach, and when the final descent begins the instructor took over. It was a pretty hefty x-wind on my first flight i remember.. as she was demonstrating flying in with the crab and correcting with wing dip and rudder before touchdown. Now i get to do that.  Smile It's awesome being able to give someone an experience that they never forget.
Chicks dig winglets.

shaun3000

Tue May 21, 2002 2:11 pm

Sure you're not my instructor?  Big grin

The only control help (I think, I wasn't paying much attention to what my instructor was doing until the tires hit the pavement) was on the flare--I don't think I flared enough...

Whiskeyflyer

Tue May 21, 2002 6:56 pm

Impressive for a first flight. Now try a tail dragger!!!!!!!

PPGMD

Tue May 21, 2002 9:36 pm

Its very normal around here for the CFI to allow the new student to land it, if they feel confident enough on their first flight. But its NOT in any way a hands off landing the CFI will be applying corrective and holding the yoke within limits during the whole time.

You will find that you subsequent landings will get worse (the CFI will put less corrections in) but don't worry it's your normal learning experience. I remember for my glider first two landings went great. The third one was nearly hands off from the CFIG, my worst/exciting(relatively) landing ever, some how I was able to land it safely.
At worst, you screw up and die.

ThirtyEcho

Tue May 21, 2002 10:08 pm

My first lesson was in a Luscombe 8-E taildragger; there was no way that the instructor was going to let anyone take off or land on the first flight. He did have me shadow him on the stick (not rudder) but I made no control inputs. Tricycle gear trainers are much more forgiving and be thankful that they have eliminated heel brakes.

Tue May 21, 2002 10:33 pm

I hate to be a kill-joy. But regardless of how soon you learn landings, or even solo for that matter, you've still got to meet all the requirements for the Private Certificate. Some people struggle with landings. You'll probably struggle with something else. All I'm saying is this: Don't get cocky. You've still got a lot to do.

'Speed

shaun3000

Wed May 22, 2002 1:25 am

I'm not getting cocky. I know I still need all my hours and I still have lots of other stuff to do. I just found it unusual that he let me land it (and it was a pretty flawless one, at that! but I just like to brag.  Big grin) and had his hands off the yoke until we flared.

Goldenshield

Wed May 22, 2002 2:24 am

Usually (as PPGMD has stated), your first few landings will be good, and if youve only been flying on commercial flights, taking those as ques, then you are doing pretty good. However, landing is a skill, and one that is learned over time. You will have many a piss-poor (yet great in a pilots opinion Big grin ) landings to come, and to learn from. Your instructor will teach you the proper way to land the type of plane you are flying, etc.

Taking off is fun, and gives most new pilots the initial rush of what they are going into. In a light aircraft (especially the 152), you do not rotate. Light planes only need a slight amount of nose up, once Vr is reached, since the plane will want to climb itself out. From there on, the plane will increase in speed, and you will have to compensate by climbing. The only plane that I have been in that can give the effect of rotating a large aircraft, is being the only person in a 160HP 172, on a cool day, at sea level. You will climb like a bat out of hell in the configuration, getting 800-900 FPM.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

Ralgha

RE: Taxiing, Takeoff, Landing On First Student Fli

Wed May 22, 2002 2:39 am

It's still rotation, just not as pronounced, and whoever said fly a taildragger, I really hope you're joking, I get sick and tired of people saying that you can't fly until you can fly a taildragger. It's complete BS.

Shaun3000 did well on his first flight, more importantly, he had fun and will be going back for another lesson. Don't say anything like "well that was good, but you're gonna suck in the future," or, "that's all well and good but you know you're not really flying 'cause it's a tricycle gear plane." His instructor should have made the difficulty and expected bumps in training known already, and is also the one to make the judgement call on attitude. It's not our place to be bringing someone down who we don't even know.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

EssentialPowr

Wed May 22, 2002 4:02 am

"...a 160HP 172, on a cool day, at sea level. You will climb like a bat out of hell in the configuration, getting 800-900 FPM."

Well put.

It is such a rush to make the next step in the performance ladder...at some point that will mean having to increase to 3,000 fpm or more to keep from exceeding 250 kts. And then, it will be equally rewarding to return to your roots and fly that 172.

Cheers-

Wed May 22, 2002 6:45 am

...(and it was a pretty flawless one, at that! but I just like to brag. ) and had his hands off the yoke until we flared.

Granted tone of voice doesn't transmit over the internet, but that sure reads like cockiness to me. And if I'm wrong, and I hope I am, then all I'm saying is make sure that you don't become cocky. That will shoot all kinds of holes in your progress. Personally, I've noticed that when I think I'm aeronautically "all that," then I don't progress at nearly the rate that I do when I work to keep myself humble. Plus, I don't get frustrated when I encounter the inevitable hardships associated with learning to fly airplanes; I've acknowledged that I don't know everything, and that I might have to work to grasp certain concepts or master certain skills.

'Speed

SkyGuy11

Wed May 22, 2002 7:44 am

Congrats on your sucessful flight however, I suggest that you go back and reread your own posts objectively. They REALLY come across as cocky, and to me, your origional question of 'how unusual is this' is really just 'look at how great is this!'. I hope you have a great flight career but remember, a little humility can go a long way.

MagicMan_841

Wed May 22, 2002 8:04 am

I remember my first training flight...not the intro, but the actual training. I got to taxi, and take-off with help of the CFI, and the CFI landed it. Don't expect to grease a landing on your first flight  Wink/being sarcastic

Magic

ThirtyEcho

Wed May 22, 2002 8:17 am

I'm not at all worried about anybody's cockiness on the first lesson. All it takes is one episode of trying to taxi with the tail tie-down still attached or with a mainwheel chock still in place and cockiness seems to take care of itself. You might even work up to a pitot tube cover waving at you from the left wing at 500AGL.

Wed May 22, 2002 10:33 am

I started my flight training at Hicks airport in Texas. (I mean literally my first 1/2 hour of flight). There my instructor calmly talked me through taxi, takeoff, and landing. It was great. Looking back now (nearly three years later) I don't think, as an instructor, I could ever have the patience or calm to do such a thing to a similar student as myself!!

Again, let me remind you that it wasn't my skills that shined that day, but those of my excellent instructor. (I didn't even know the first thing about the circuit! haha) After that I came home to Welland, Ontario and continued my flight training...

Cameron

jcxp15

Wed May 22, 2002 10:53 am

I know this instructor who takes the "cocky" students on a flight, and treats them like babies after takeoff, making them even more confident. Then, he'll head to a smaller airport to either to land or for a touch and go, and purposely ask the tower for the runway with the heaviest crosswind, and almost give the student total control of the a/c. Once the student figures out that they can't line the a/c up with the runway, and maintain the proper altitude and speed without instructor help, the instructor will take control of the plane, and perform the landing by himself. Then he'll try to scare the student into thinking that he almost got in trouble for the poor quality of the attempted landing and all etc... Usually the student believe everything, and the next flight, everything is cool.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Wed May 22, 2002 12:24 pm

Thats kind of an odd technique for dealing with a cocky student... my general practice is to load them up with as much as they can take and then slightly overload them to where they begin to lose focus and cant fly the airplane anymore. This helps them become better pilots quicker, as not only do the learn to respect the situation, but they soon are able to do the additional tasks, upon which time i toss on more. If they start getting discouraged, ill back off and let them have a little fun.... or ill take the airplane for a few minutes for a "performance demonstration"... tee hee. Never ceases to get them back in the game. Instructing is alot of fun, theres nothing like the feeling of seeing someone nail a manuever or go from bare nothing in knowing about flying to have their pilots lisence. Just i cant wait until im in the airlines.  Smile
Chicks dig winglets.

EssentialPowr

Wed May 22, 2002 12:29 pm

Speaking of cocky-

What, exactly is a King Air 200 FO?

wilcharl

Wed May 22, 2002 12:35 pm

There are OLD Pilots
There are BOLD Pilots
There are No Old&Bold pilots

if you dont get this think about it for a second....

XFSUgimpLB41X

Wed May 22, 2002 12:37 pm

The place where i fly for requires a two pilot operation on the King Air 200.... There is one captain and I am one of 3 instructors that right seat on it.. we alternate. Didnt want to write out co-pilot on the profile so i just tossed in FO. I'm not captain qualified as i dont have enough hours...and i perform all the normal duties of a first officer. Thus... King Air 200 FO. Hows that cockiness working out for you?
Chicks dig winglets.

EssentialPowr

Wed May 22, 2002 12:48 pm

B/c you're talking about an insurance requirement, son.

If State Farm Insurance Company wants company XYZ to have a loadmaster, engineer and "FO" for a 5,000 lb C206, and the operator wants that policy...then those positions must mean something to the underwriter.

As far as the FAA is concerned, and other pilots in general, particularly 600 hr CFIs talking about cockiness, the King Air 200 is a single pilot a/c, and therefore,

There is no such thing as King Air -200 FO. Looks "cool" on a web page, but that's about it.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Wed May 22, 2002 12:59 pm

Whatever, I am required on there and am trained and it is my favorite airplane my company has for me to fly. 90% of the King Airs that I see are operated under 2 pilot requirements...most other pilots ive talked to would have died for multi-turbine time while they were paying their dues as a CFI. Either way thats 830 hour CFI, to you Big grin. I fly my butt off everyday as well as going to school full time and have worked hard to get where I am. I felt that King Air Pilot or whatever would have given the impression taht i was captain... which i am not. Ironically in an effort to not try to boost my image to a level that i am not, someone has come to believe i was showing cockiness through it. Sheesh.
Chicks dig winglets.

EssentialPowr

Wed May 22, 2002 1:16 pm

From the College and Flight Training Expenses topic:

12. Don't talk about "we" in a King Air (resume or log book). It's a single pilot a/c, or it's dual rec'd. 500 hrs dual rec'd in a King Air will get your resume filed in the "Sandbag" category.
13. And remember-if you are confident, competent, and humble, your time will come.

Cheers-

Wed May 22, 2002 1:22 pm

For what it's worth, I took Shaun's post as simply reflective of his youth and his pride of achievement. Haven't we all been there at one time or another? As a CFI, I have given many students their first ride and I always allowed them to taxi, takeoff, fly, and (at the very least) follow me through on the landing. It sound like he had an exceptional and very rewarding flight. But as those of you who have preceded him well know, there will be plenty of "humbling" moments ahead for him. Well done Shaun, keep us posted on your progress.

Jetguy

EssentialPowr

Wed May 22, 2002 1:25 pm

I agree totally, Jetguy, ref my first post in this topic. But I had to step in toward the latter stages.

cheers-

shaun3000

Wed May 22, 2002 2:07 pm

NormalSpeed and others,

I apologize if some of my posts come across as cocky. I assure you, I am far from that. As I said, I am still amazed I was allowed to land the plane. As for me saying it was a great landing, that's partly me liking to brag (always in jest, of course) and partly a result of input from my instructor as well as my experience with aviation over the the years (though none of it involved piloting a real plane...) I don't think it's the BEST landing I'll ever make (or anyone else, for that matter) but for a my very first landing, on my very first flight, I doubt I could have done much better.

I know I've much to learn and I'm dreading crosswind landings! haha. Don't worry, I'm not getting cocky, I'm only confident in myself. If I weren't confident, I'd have never even attempted to break into the aviation biz, nor would I have done countless other things I've done and succeeded at. I cannot do things unless I am confident, that's just how I am.

Thanks to all of you for the support. I'll be sure and keep y'all posted!  Smile

Wed May 22, 2002 2:27 pm

NormalSpeed and others,

I apologize if some of my posts come across as cocky.

Naw... Don't worry about it. The truth is that I wish that I could have landed that well on my first time out. But alas, it took me a while to figure out that particular skill. In retrospect, "a while" seems to be about average for mastering landings.

But remember what I said in my posts, it still holds true. Humility is the key to fast progression, in aviation or whatever else.

Good luck in your flight training!

'Speed

PPGMD

Wed May 22, 2002 11:42 pm

Power:

The King Air in 90% of cases is a single pilot aircraft. A few part 135 companies (and even less Part 91) choose not to apply for the single pilot waiver. Now when it comes to a job interview where you have King Air time DR he is going to have to explain that at his company did not apply or operate under that waiver.

EssentialPowr

Thu May 23, 2002 12:25 am

Thanks; I'm aware of Part 135 ops; same thing applies to a Barron, Seneca, 206, whatever. If it was Part 135, then the follow on question for an interviewer is, "Whats the company name and -135 certificate #? The Feds require a records check for previous employers, Part 121 or 135, so if the record request comes back "No History of -135 Cert #"...then some serious problems for the interviewee crop up...

I believe I assessed XFU's situation accurately in that he is operating Part 91 under an insurance requirement, not Part 135, which again means that "King Air 200 FO" means nothing.

EssentialPowr

Thu May 23, 2002 12:38 am

A final comment-

To say that background and work history checks have changed significantly for the airline industry is a tremendous understatement. When the hiring starts again, and it will, an applicant's resume and employment history will be about as thorough as a Class 1 with a prostate exam. People on this forum know that there will never be a shortage of newbys; getting the interview with a major IS like winning the lottery. Airlines simply won't risk a questionable resume, and certainly won't exert the manpower to help resolve an individual's resume. They want them squeaky clean...I know of many examples of people who were released from training due to resume descrepancies; there's another guy a phone call away, waiting for your slot. The selection process certainly won't get any easier.

Cheers-

EssentialPowr

Thu May 23, 2002 12:46 am

Final, Final comment.

If you are FAA required, dual pilot Part 91, then your resume better read "FAA Airways/Approach Inspector" or "US Customs Service" or similar, cause those are pretty rare.

EssentialPowr

Thu May 23, 2002 12:47 am

All above for an a/c 12500 or less, of course.

SkyGuy11

Thu May 23, 2002 7:00 am

Power, he just wrote it on his airliners.net forum thing!!! Take it easy! The fact that he's in the 20 or under category and right seating a king air AND CFIing while going to school seems pretty good to me regardless of whether it's 'dual given' or SIC.

sccutler

Thu May 23, 2002 10:35 am

Shaun-

What flight school are you using at ADS?
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

mls515

Thu May 23, 2002 2:42 pm

At Addison? Don't pay too much money to sit there on the ground with the brake applied.

shaun3000

Fri May 24, 2002 3:04 am

Sccutler - I'm using American Flyers. While they're expensive, I chose them because I need to have my PPL by the end of the summer. I switched majors up at school to Aviation Science/ Pro. Pilot. I'm going to start my instrument training in teh fall and needed my PPL to catch up to the rest of my class.

Mls515 - I haven't had to wait very long to takeoff, yet... only landing traffic, and even then it's not very much. I usually don't fly during rush hour...

XFSUgimpLB41X

Fri May 24, 2002 5:26 am

When is your next flight, Shaun? What kind of airplanes are you training in? I hope it all goes well for you... keep at it and the rewards are great.
Chicks dig winglets.

N79969

Fri May 24, 2002 5:30 am

Good job...it took me forever to get my landings down. Forever actually is not a big exaggeration. Even now, since I don't fly that often, I say about 50% are what I consider decent. It's normal to feel cocky after a good flight and great landing. But as these guys say, humility is good for the obvious reasons and it also could save your ass in the long run.

USAFHummer

Fri May 24, 2002 9:51 am

My first lesson was April 26, 2000 at Pottstown-Limerick Airport (PTW) in Limerick, PA...my instructor walked me through the preflight, then he taxied (with me following) from the grass parking onto the concrete (maybe it was asphalt, I dont fly at PTW anymore so I forget, but it was solid), and then he turned taxiing over to me, I found it tough at first and was wobblling all over the taxiway, and he helped me do the tough turn to position for a runup in the small runup area there. I then made all radio calls and did the takeoff...in flight he demonstrated some basic maneuvers and had me attempt them, and then on landing I had the controls until over the numbers, at which point he did the actual touchdown...my first complete hands off landing was not until my 7th or 8th lesson...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

sccutler

Fri May 24, 2002 11:06 am

Well, I'm just starting out at Monarch. Flew tonight, as a matter of fact.

Thus far, have managed to drill all holes through air only.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

PPGMD

Fri May 24, 2002 11:17 am

Hah my first unassited landing ("impact with ground") was during my third lesson.

He thought I was ready, it went pretty well till about 5' or so AGL flared to early and slam, he then took over and did a proper landing.

That 152 is a tough little birds!  Smile

Take those early landings for granted it will be a while before you can consistantly get smooth landings.

Continental

Fri May 24, 2002 11:23 am

That's what I did on my first flight. I taxiied, tookoff, flew a few procedures, then landed. I was amazed that he let me do the landing as well as the taxi/takeoff! It was actually easier than I imagined!

Continental

Fri May 24, 2002 2:11 pm

Speaking of landings, I recently started flying a Mooney M-20. The funny thing is that I seem to land the Mooney consistently better than any other airplane I've flown, and that includes a Cessna 152 and 172, Piper Archer, Warrior, and Cherokee, and Diamond Katana. Go figure. I'm as puzzled as you are.

'Speed

PPGMD

Fri May 24, 2002 4:55 pm

The Mooney I found it my putzing around in them (haven't used one for training) is a fairly honest plane, and fun. Its a true complex plane and excellent for training because there are alot of systems that you can break in them unless you know the SOP and POH.

Also I still think its a riot when I had a non-flying friend in the plane, putting on my best Jetjock voice "Extending Air Brakes"

Its probally the first and only truely high preformance plane Riddle had, its shame that they are getting rid of them they are excellent learning tools.

jhooper

Sun May 26, 2002 6:10 pm

Experience with PC flight simulators, I found, is a real plus when learning how to fly. You pick things up much quicker.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

roadrunner165

Mon May 27, 2002 11:16 pm

My Second Flight...

I started the plane...

I taxied The plane...

I talked to ATC...

I took Off...

I flew the plane... (instructors never put his hands on the controls)

I landed the plane... (doing power controls Flaps ECT. By myself)

I taxied to the ramp...(Parked Perfectly)

Adam.

Good Job Shaun3000