Whiskeyflyer
Topic Author

F28 FWD Cargo COMP. Hatches

Fri Jun 14, 2002 9:38 pm

We just got our first F28 into our hanger. Why does the F28 FWD cargo compartment have two hatches/doors very close to each other, serving one cargo compartment? Looks like a lot of dead weight to be carrying.

Fokker Lover

RE: F28 FWD Cargo COMP. Hatches

Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:37 am

You wouldn't happen to know who used to own it would you???? I'd be interested in knowing where the ex Empire/Piedmont/Usair F28's ended up going. I know our F28 cargo doors were hinged on the bottom, but I can't remember if there were 3 of them or not. I do know that the F100 has 2 doors for the fwd cargo bin and they are hinged on top. Maybe NKP S2 can remember about the F28's.
Is this an F28-4000? Does this plane have small a rear service door on the left hand side?
Two cargo doors for one bin just makes it easier and quicker to load. I guess that sometimes the manufacturers did things to make their planes more marketable.

One more thing. Be careful with the oxygen system. If it's not reset in the proper sequence after a test, you'll be repacking the masks the next time power is applied. Guaranteed!!!!
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

crewchief32

Sat Jun 15, 2002 4:37 pm

Fokker Lover,

you might be interested to know that not all F100s have cargo compartment doors which are hinged at the top.
Portugalia has some F100s with cargo doors hinged at the bottom like the F28s used to have.

CC32

Fokker Lover

Sun Jun 16, 2002 5:32 am

CrewChief32
That is interesting. It seems that Fokker offered alot of different options to different customers. Our main entrance door was completely different than most other F100's. It was hinged at the fwd side and had no built in stairs. We moved the E&E racks up to the main cabin, and optioned out of the 3rd computer system. We also deleted the rear service door. I personally believe that is why they got so hot on the ground. The packs could put out enough air. There just wasn't anywhere for the hot air to escape out the back. Kind of like blowing into a pop bottle.
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

Whiskeyflyer
Topic Author

Tue Jun 18, 2002 10:36 pm

Maybe the following info will make the answer to my question easier. Aircraft Type F28-4000 S/N 11128

JoakimE

Wed Jun 19, 2002 2:52 am

I believe SN 11128 is an ex Linjeflyg/SAS bird, SE-DGM...
http://www.mmgmdrunen.cistron.nl/f28current-fleet.htm

dash8tech

Mon Jun 24, 2002 6:21 am

There is some avionics and other gear mounted between the two doors, Radalts and batteries I believe. Might be a factor for access to it, also to ease with quick loading and unloading I'd guess.

Most of our F-28's came from US/Piedmont/Empire...of course they're almost all gone form our fleets now too.

Cheers!