saxman66

Windshear Scenario

Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:23 pm

Scenario:
You are on approach in a decreasing headwind which becomes an increasing headwind. What happens to performance? power...pitch....airspeed?
And why?
So what do you do to fix it?

Ride Amtrak!

Android

RE: Windshear Scenario

Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:02 pm

Check out Honeywell's Windshear Website-This will explain it for you.
http://www.flwsradar.com/Product_Info/wind.html

Cheers
Andy
Bombardier Rep

flightsimfreak

Tue Jul 02, 2002 2:32 pm

any major windshear on approach...

1: Full power
2: Pitch for Vx
3: Flaps to T/O position
4: Clean up as recomended

Tue Jul 02, 2002 3:34 pm

FlightSimFreak,
I've got a question for you, where did you get the above windshear procedure?
Jetguy

Tue Jul 02, 2002 11:58 pm

Alex,
I didn't mean to put you on the spot, it's just that your username had me thinking that perhaps your procedure was the FS solution to counter windshear.

While your procedure may (or may not) be an appropriate response to a windshear encounter in a light aircraft, it definitely has the potential of turning a large aircraft into a "lawndart". The big factor is aircraft size. To put it simply, large, heavy aircraft are affected considerably more by windshear than smaller, lighter aircraft. It's high school physics - mass and inertia. Larger, heaver aircraft have more inertia to overcome which makes it harder for them to accelerate relative to the airmass that they are flying in. Light aircraft have less inertia to overcome plus they usually have the advantage of "instant" airflow over the wings when power is applied.

What this means is that large aircarrier type aircraft are more susceptible to windshear than smaller jets and light aircraft. In fact, I can't honestly remember any corporate jet ever being lost to windshear. Same thing applies to light aircraft. Not to say that it hasn't ever happened, it's just extremely rare.

We certainly train for it - the profile for most aircraft is simple:
1. Apply full available power
2. Pitch up to the stick shaker (stall warning)
3. Hang on until you've gotten out of it. Big grin

You're simply looking for the maximum climb capability of the aircraft. You wouldn't want to reconfigure the aircraft. Resetting the flaps, at these low speeds, would have a tendency to cause the aircraft to settle - definitely not something that you would want in a windshear scenario. Ditto for raiding the raising the dear - there's a lot of drag created when the gear doors open up.

Jetguy

Wed Jul 03, 2002 12:03 am

Oops, I thought I had read the last sentence. It should read:

Ditto for raising the landing gear - there's a lot of drag created when the gear doors open up.

Dang spell checker...

flightsimfreak

Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:04 am

I'm quoting that from memory from a magazene I read at the FBO...

About the username, I need to change that, I'm 55 hours into a private pilot rating, I have the checkride in about 3 weeks. I used to be a sim freak, but the real world is much better. Sim doesn't even have windshear.

I've never flown anything but a Beech Skipper, and there, we do bring the flaps from 30 to 20 in windshear or a go around. I'm pretty sure that in any other light aircraft, it's the same. Sorry if the gear procedure is different, it's just what you would do in a go around. The "Clean up as recomended" would come after you've established a positive rate of climb and are through the windshear. Also, it should be noted that you would want to fly directly through it rather than trying to turn around, because they are generally so concentrated that you will spend more time in the turnaround than flying through it.

Wed Jul 03, 2002 3:43 am

Alex,
That explaination works for me. Just remember that once you start flying larger aircraft the proper procedure will change. For example, not all aircraft have published Vx or Vy speeds. Do turbojet aircraft have a best angle of climb and best rate of climb speeds? Of course they do, but most pilots have no idea what they are - they're usually not published because they're not pertinent to any normal operation and when they are published, it is typically done by adding a certain speed to some other published speed such as V2, i.e. V2+15 knots. (Actually, it would be more correct to reference Vx and Vy to specific angles of attack, but this is a whole different topic.) Also, you wouldn't want to make any configuration changes for the reasons that I mentioned in my previous post.

Good luck on your up coming checkride. Keep us posted.

Jetguy

Wed Jul 03, 2002 9:09 am

Chris...
We got off track a little, but now back to your original question. This website offers as good an explination as any that I've come across:
http://www.adventureair.com/pub/asp/8740-40.html
Jetguy