justplanesmart

DC-10-10 Engine Exhaust Structure

Tue Jul 16, 2002 2:53 pm

This might be more suited for the Technical Forum, but this forum gets more traffic, so my apologies in advance. The DC-10-10 was originally built with a metal plate in the engine exhaust. Later it was changed to a simple cone, with the existing fleet being retrofitted. Does anyone have info as to the story behind this? The pictures below give a good comparison:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © AirNikon
View Large View Medium

Photo © Arthur Yu

(There was a change in the L-1011 engine exhaust structure also, but I am too tired to search for comparative photos at this time. If I get some good replies to this post, I will follow up with one for the TriStar.)
"So many planes; so little time..."

iahcsr

RE: DC-10-10 Engine Exhaust Structure

Tue Jul 16, 2002 4:05 pm

Sorry to say I don't know the story behind the change .... Other then that it's a design upgrade.
Working very hard to Fly Right....

rmm

Tue Jul 16, 2002 5:29 pm

I'll think you'll find the -10 had a hot stream thrust reverser. This was dropped on later models.

Rmm

Tue Jul 16, 2002 6:24 pm

Rmm, that was certainly the case with the L1011 where you can see 'spikes' in the engine exhaust cones on some of the -22Bs where the hot stream reversers travelled. The costs of maintenance outweighed the benefits, and they were removed ... as was the case with the CF6-6.

Panman

Tue Jul 16, 2002 9:10 pm

What benefits? Considering that only about 10% of the thrust is generated by the hot stream on a turbofan (it's main function being drive the compressors and fan) the effects of reversing the hot stream would be negligible. Hot stream reversers are more effect on turbojets (old 737s, 727s. 707 etc).

paNMan

justplanesmart

Wed Jul 17, 2002 10:34 am

Thanks, I learned something new. I did not know that any high-bypass engines ever used the core exhaust for TR. It appears that the TriStar had three different layouts:

1. The aforementioned "spikes"

View Large View Medium

Photo © Brian J. Gore
View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon

2. A longer nozzle, without the "spikes"

View Large View Medium

Photo © Eduard Marmet
View Large View Medium

Photo © Pierre Langlois

3. The shorter nozzle, standard with the RB211-524 on the -200, -250, -500, and retrofitted on early -22B

View Large View Medium

Photo © AirNikon
View Large View Medium

Photo © Rajesh Changela

"So many planes; so little time..."

broke

Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:21 pm

All of the early wide bodied airplanes had hot and cold stream reversers on their engines. The hot stream portion was removed from all of these airplanes in the early to mid '70's due to reliability problems. It became a regular event for an airplane to leave part of the hot stream reverser on the runway. On the RB211 on the L-1011, this was a little more complicated because the control sequence for the whole reverser was controlled by the hot stream portion of the reverser.
Braking tests and rejected take-off performance on all airplanes are predicated without the use of the thrust reversers.