david b.

Medical Personal

Fri Aug 02, 2002 1:23 am

Do airlines have emergency medical equipment and personal on board during a intercontinental flight? Especially one that transverse the ocean. For example if I take a flight from LAX to Sydney, I would spend most of the time over the Pacific Ocean. Likewise a flight from NY-HKG. We pass over Siberia. If a medical emergency occurs, there is hardly a place to land.
Teenage-know-it-alls should be shot on sight

RE: Medical Personal

Fri Aug 02, 2002 2:00 am

To answer your question in a word - yes. Many airlines and corporate flight departments subscribe to a medical service called Medair. We are able to contact emergency room physicians via satcom, VHF, HF, etc. from anywhere in the world 24/7. We carry medical bags with a full compliment of medical tools and both prescription and non-prescription drugs. The tools and drugs aren't for the untrained, (although I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night!) but rather, in case adequate drugs and equipment isn't available locally and you have them to provide the local medical people. (We came close to having to use the stuff a year or so ago in the interior of Brazil.) We also carry an AED - Automatic External Defibrillator. There are many cases where the AED has saved lives aboard aircraft, including the life of the man who designed them. Of course, airlines frequently carry medically trained individuals and the have the tools and medications available for their use. It has save many lives.

Jetguy

Fri Aug 02, 2002 3:10 am

On airlines yes, there is medical equipment, and we have excellent capability with communications to seek medical advice... and would land at the nearest airport with decent medical facilities... A few years ago I landed my plane in Lima, Peru on a flight from Buenos Aires to Mexico City for that reason...
xxx
Oftentimes we have trained medical personnel on board, MDs often identify theirselves to the cabin staff when they board the aircraft... Sadly enough, since 9/11, MDs have probably no way to bring their kit with them in the cabin, with USA airport security... a scalpel is such a formidable weapon... but overseas we allow that type of equipment...
xxx
I had a baby born on my flight, over the ocean in the middle of nowhere, on our way to Madrid, Spain... there was no MD, but the flight attendants and some experienced passengers helped, we located the lady in the 747's upper deck, and after tons of paperwork I had to write upon arrival, I was advised that the baby was given my first name, and that I was the godfather...  Smile/happy/getting dizzy
(s) Skipper

Squigee

Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:17 am

Skipper, out of curiosity, what was the babies country of birth and citizenship?  Smile
Someday, we'll look back at this, laugh nervously, and then change the subject.

PPGMD

Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:46 am

I would imagine that he would be dual citizenship, that is assuming that his parent weren't from Spain. He would recieve a Spanish citizenship for being accepted to birth (ie his birth certificate was issued) in Spain, and he would recieve his mother and fathers country of citizenship by blood.

Just pure speculation.
At worst, you screw up and die.

Fri Aug 02, 2002 7:46 am

The citizenship question is a "classic" in international aviation law, correct...
(1) the citizenship of the father
(2) the citizenship of the mother (some countries allow that as well)
(3) the country of permanent residence of the parents
(4) the country of departure of the flight
(5) the country of arrival of the flight (where the birth was declared)
(6) the nationality of the airline or operator of the aircraft
(7) the country of registry of the airplane (could be a leased airplane)
(8) the citizenship of the captain
(9) the country of the FIR/UIR where the plane is (or was) at time of birth
(10) and since "England rules the high seas"... British citizenship...
and I probably forget others...
xxx
The only problem I personally had, was to correct the original passenger manifest with the cabin supervisor... what did you say we do, list 273 adults, 22 children and 5 infants... or 6 infants... tough question...
xxx
And can the new baby claim "air miles" on the frequent flyer program...?
 Wink/being sarcastic
(s) Skipper

707CMF

Fri Aug 02, 2002 6:07 pm

Congrats for that, skipper.

Regarding the air miles, a few years back, a baby was born on an AF flight, and on the news, they told that he was given lifelong non rev privileges. Lucky bastard !