jfktowerfan
Crew

A-300 Tires Locking Up?

Tue Aug 06, 2002 7:06 am

I was at JFK on Saturday and I watched two AA A-300's land about 15 minutes apart and just before turning onto the taxiway they both locked up the rear right outside tires. Is this a normal thing common to the A300? Just curious never actually seen tires that big lock up, it make quite a smoke show!!
C'mon Man

FDXmech

RE: A-300 Tires Locking Up?

Tue Aug 06, 2002 9:16 am

Sounds odd. In general the A300 brake/anti-skid system is reliable with minimum of problems, I can't remember changing a flat spotted A300-600 tire.

Was it a sharp right turn?
You're only as good as your last departure.

jfktowerfan
Crew

Tue Aug 06, 2002 8:32 pm

Yeah they were slowing up to turn off the runway. I spoke to an AA Captain he said probably they were on the brakes a little hard to make the taxiway and in making a right turn the weight transfers to the left side making it easy for the out tire(s) to lock up. Just happened to be the same aircraft type twice in a row.
C'mon Man

B737-112

Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:02 pm

FedEx does that here at BUR with their A300-600's practically every time they arrive. They generally pull off Rwy 8 before the intersection, using up something like only 4,000ft of pavement. From certain angles nearby you can hear the skidding tires over the reverse thrust and then get a nosefull of that burnt rubber smell.

air2gxs

Thu Aug 08, 2002 9:31 am

I'm not sure about the A300 but I know several of the larger Boeing products have a threshold speed where the anti-skid system no longer works. It is a low speed somewhere around 10-15 knots (or maybe lower, fam schools were a long time ago). Anyway, if they were trying to make the turn they may have been below the speed and applied brakes. I really don't think the weight of the airplane would affect the actual operation of the a/s system. The system looks at wheel speed and will dump the pressure at impending lock-up whether the tire had a side-load on it (turning) or not. With a/s off or not operating due to parameter affects then a turn can cause a wheel to stop. Then again you may have seen some scrubbing, but that usually doesn't produce all that much smoke.