Windows NT Based Simulators

Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:29 pm

Hi Guys ,

Forgive me for this for this question , being an IT professional and an aviation fanatic , I just had to ask . Have any of the pilots amongst us ever flown in a Windows NT based simulator. I did read that there are some of them around starting 1997 when these were first introduced . Traditionally , flight simulators have always been Unix based because of thousand reasons, most of you using Microsoft would already know about 999 of them  Smile/happy/getting dizzy . Coming back to my question , are there any differences between the different types of simulators vis a vis handling or controls or functioning ? Any information is much appreciated .

Regards

RE: Windows NT Based Simulators

Mon Aug 26, 2002 5:30 pm

BTW , I mean actual flight simulators not FS2002 ... Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:51 am

A simulator is an approved training device...
What you mention, computer PC simulators, are merely entertaining toys with no training value whatsoever, and are not in any way "making you a pilot"...
xxx
So called microsoft simulators are a commercial toy sale craze, and do not belong in any way to this forum... these belongs in "aviation hobbies"...
xxx
I refuse to converse any further about this subject, further, naming these games "simulator", I will automatically suggest deletion of the post... OK?
(s) Skipper

PPGMD

Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:55 am

PCATD that we have in come of the labs at school are apporaved training devices and run on Windows, not sure if NT or not, never really cared to look.

All PCATD are Insturment sims and require a very expensive, yoke, rudder, throttle package. Often that package alone costs 2-3 grand, then you have to buy the software which often is priced rather high for the certified copy.
At worst, you screw up and die.

Admiral Ackbar

Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:57 am

Skipper,

The second post he made clarifies that he meant an actual training simulator, not FS2002.

He is asking if there are simulators from companies such as CAE that, instead of using a flavour of UNIX to power the servers that run the various systems (video, motion, instruments, etc.) of said simulator, use Windows NT instead.

I have never heard of this, since I assume that they would want absolute reliability for these expensive toys.

And cost is not a factor, Solaris (UNIX) licenses are much more expensive than NT (Windows) licenses.

Wed Aug 28, 2002 12:21 pm

Skipper

No way am I going to post a aviation hobby post here, and I do apologize for the misleading subject line , the question I had was not at all for the computer games , like Admiral suggests CAE does make Flight simulators on a Windows platform rather than the traditional SGI or Solaris platform . I have worked on a a SGI based simulator for the Jaguar in my early days as a sysadmin . I only wanted to know if there are any differences in the actual flying of the simulators based on a windows platform or a unix platform

Regards

PS more information available here
http://www.spirent-systems.com/spirent4/main/news/crewtraining.htm

Sun Sep 01, 2002 2:59 pm

Hi All,

Found the information I was looking for about who uses these simulators , Source: Flight International World simulator census .

UPS Airlines is using an A 300-600F simulator built by TTS , powered by Windows NT .This is also the world's first Windows NT powered simulator . Following are the specs:-

Type: A 300-600F
Supplier: TTS
Computer: Power PC
Motion Axes: 6
Level: LD Standard
Associated Devices: L5 FTD(TTS) + FMSTs

Really wanted to know what the peroformace of this is like compared to the Unix powered full motion simulators .

Regards

Kartik