blink182

ORD Before T5

Sun Sep 01, 2002 6:49 am

I was just curious as to how the international flights at ORD were handled before Terminal 5 was built.

Was there an existing structure there that was torn down? Did certain airlines park at certain terminals? etc. etc.

Does anybody know?

thanks,
blink
Give me a break, I created this username when I was a kid...

pilottim747

RE: ORD Before T5

Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:03 am

There was a terminal 4 which I believe was just for international arrivals (maybe departures as well). I'm not sure what happened to it, I believe it was like on the ground level somewhere near one of the existing terminals.

As for the name of Terminal 5: "When Terminal 5, O'Hare's international terminal, opened in 1993, the designation of Terminal 4 was reserved for the next predominantly domestic terminal. But since then, United Airlines and American Airlines, the largest carriers at O'Hare, flinched at the escalating cost of Chicago's World Gateway terminal expansion project--now more than $3.6 billion. Terminal 4 is stuck in a holding pattern."
--Jon Hilkevitch of Chicago Tribune

pilottim747
Aviation Photographers & Enthusiasts--Coordinate your life.

midexjet

Sun Sep 08, 2002 11:35 pm

Prior to T-5, there was the ORIGINAL T-1, which is the current site of United's T-1. After T-5 was built, T-1 (orig) Was torn down for UAL to build the current T-1. Interesting fact is that Braniff's gates were on the "B" concourse, which was actually T-1 1/2!

jetdoctor

Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:34 pm

Prior to T-5 at O'hare, T-4 was used for international arrivals (with Customs and INS) The arriving aircraft would park on a hardstand and passengers would be bussed to the T-4 arrival terminal (which was under the parking garage) Outbound international flights could be conducted in 2 ways. One would be the reverse of a T-4 arrival. You would check in at T-4 and be bussed to your aircraft. The other option with some airlines (such as BA) would use United's terminal for departures only.

Right now T-4 is just an extended parking lot, with no immediate plans for anything else

RT
Break ground, and head into the wind. Don't break wind and head into the ground.