Stupid Mechanic Tricks

Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:40 am

We've been getting some pretty good stupid pilot tricks, now it's time for the mechanics to chime in. I've got a few to share, but I'll start it off by telling about the mechanic who was tighting a few rivets in a wing on a Turbo-Commander. When he was finished he buttoned up the wing, but he left the bucking bar laying in the wing. You guessed it, the very next flight the airplane encountered a bunch of turbulence and chop. When the crew returned to the hangar the wing was beat up so badly that it had to be reskined and painted.

Ah, Pilot/Mechanics...
Most of their pilot friends think they're good mechanics and most of their mechanic friends think they're good pilots. Think about it.

Jetguy

citation501sp

RE: Stupid Mechanic Tricks

Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:22 am

I read this through an NBAA maintenance alert. Some mechanics while doing a phase check on a Citation V found that the potty in the Lav was leveled with a 3/8" socket bit. Hopfully it was a FAA/PMA approved socket set!! heh heh

Jon
Smoke and Thunder! Stage 2 FOREVER!!!

Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:32 am

Geeze, can you imagine what Snap On would charge for a FAA/PMA approved socket?  Wow!

apathoid

Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:36 am

Talk about a misnomer...using the word stupid and mechanic in the same sentence...geesh... Smile/happy/getting dizzy

Fokker Lover

Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:00 am

Whenever we get a stupid mechanic at work. We avoid the confusion by changing his title to ............Supervisor.
10,000 years ago we would have eaten you. Today, we drag you along and allow you to pollute the gene pool.

airplay

Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:02 am

There was a pair of brand new mechanics that jacked up a 402 on the fuel drains. It worked for awhile but eventually on jack popped thru the wing.

apathoid

Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:18 am

wait a minute..I"M a supervisor ..... hmmmm....

avioniker

Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:48 am

"New" mechanics provide a virtually unending supply of chuckles but the ones from some of those who should know better are beyond comprehension...
I've seen this more than once:
An inspector wrote up a 747 flap as not being properly lubricated on an A check. He was refering to the dry (cherry max) fittings located all over the tracks and fairings.
Unfortunately I also have first hand knowledge of a "federal employee" making note of the same thing while doing spot checks on the ramp at a major Southwestern airport.

Someone please make sure no stick actuators see this post...
One may educate the ignorance from the unknowing but stupid is forever. Boswell; ca: 1533

Illini_152

Tue Sep 10, 2002 2:09 am

Not quite a mechanic trick, but close enough.

The company I flew for over the summer tried to get field approval from the FAA to run their PA-12 Super Cruisers without electrical systems. Sometimes, every little ounce helps, along with simplicity. And removing the starter, alternator, and battery from the system saves about 100 lbs. From a 900lb airplane expected to perform at the limit of it's performance envelope, that's a lot.

The first field inspector denied the application. Why? The boss had the letter on his office wall, framed. "... the engine will not run without an electrical system..." was the reason the FAA gave. That was news to us, as we had the same engines on our J3's and they seemed to run perfectly fine without an electrical system. Needless to say, this matter was quickly resolved, and that field inspector is probibly the head of some FSDO right now as we speak .

Though sometimes on those 95 degree days I wish they HAD denied that application, especially when I was sitting there propping her for 30 minutes!

- Mike
Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:19 am

Mike,
That reminds me of the FAA inspector a few years ago who went around grounding the unairworthy aircraft he came across while walking across the ramp. As I remember, he “red tagged” a single-engine Cessna that had the engine removed and weights placed in the engine compartment to keep it from falling on its tail. Under the comments, he wrote that the engine must be installed prior to further flight – or words to that effect. Duh!!!

This guy also grounded a twin Cessna with Q-Tip propellers for having unrepaired propeller “ground strike” damage. Huh???

The article that I read told that the inspector would be given some remedial training.

Jetguy

FDXmech

Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:05 pm

Airplay: There was a pair of brand new mechanics that jacked up a 402 on the fuel drains. It worked for awhile but eventually on jack popped thru the wing.

Similarly, there were a few MD80's jacked with the fuselage nose jack pad mounted in the water drain hole. Hey if the hole fits.......I suppose.
You're only as good as your last departure.

cdfmxtech

Wed Sep 11, 2002 12:52 pm

I saw a guy try to jack a B757 nose gear using the bottle jacks often used on lighter aircraft nose gear (B737, Md80).
He wouldn't have gotten far, but it was entertaining to see him keep pumping while the piston was maxed out, and wondering why it wouldn't reach the jack point. Sure I could have told him earlier, but where else do u get the comic relief.

Hey we've all had our moments!!!
Some a little worse than others

FredT

Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:34 pm

Came to think of something very stupid done by most mechanics. Signing off the aircraft and handing them over to the flight crew. You know they'll break'em one way or another given a bit of time! Big grin

Cheers,
Fred
I thought I was doing good trying to avoid those airport hotels... and look at me now.

Leezyjet

Wed Sep 25, 2002 7:21 am

heard about this a few years ago, about the engineer who put up a poster asking if anyone had seen his spanner as it was missing.

It was found lodged between the wing and the aileron on an Air 2000 B757 that had to make an emergency landing because they could only turn left !!!.

Smile
"She Rolls, 45 knots, 90, 135, nose comes up to 20 degrees, she's airborne - She flies, Concorde Flies"

NKP S2

Wed Sep 25, 2002 10:12 am

A ways back, a few airlines ago, a mech had a pneumatic drill explode in his hand because he was running it off of an oxygen bottle from a servcing cart. He was very fortunate he didn't get hurt ( much ) and they took pictures of the grenaded drill and posted them all over stating "don't let this happen to you blah blah blah" or somesuch admonition. -- It was alway beat into our heads how flammable just about anything can be in contact w/pure O2. Hearing of this "practical" demonstration brought the point home.

A/c train

Tue Nov 21, 2006 9:18 am

leezyjet, thats bull, the ailerons will brake out.

XFSUgimpLB41X

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:26 am

2002 called... it wants its thread back.
Chicks dig winglets.

futurecaptain

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:47 am

Quoting FredT (Reply 12):
Came to think of something very stupid done by most mechanics. Signing off the aircraft and handing them over to the flight crew. You know they'll break'em one way or another given a bit of time!

Of course. It's job security all around. We break em so mechs have jobs fixing the bent planes. After you fix em we cant let these beauties sit on the ground so we take em out, make some money, and eventually it all starts all over again.
AirSO. ASpaceO. ASOnline. ASO.com ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO. ASO.

Dougloid

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:21 am

Well, this is a little off topic but back in the day at the FBO I worked at a lot of guys wanted sumped jet fuel to run heaters on, it being in an unnamed city in Michigan. So the company was generally OK about it, even to the extent of me getting a few gallons of avgas to run my Econoline on.

Well there was a guy who would use every opportunity to put a couple buckets under an airplane, sump out five gallons here and there, dump it in the sump fuel tank and heat his garage with a salamander heater all weekend.

Larry, I hope you're reading this.

People started getting pissed off. So one day a plot was hatched. Larry was told that there was ten gallons of the good stuff just taken out of a Citation in the sump fuel tank. Well....sort of. It was five gallons of Jet A, a gallon of MEK, a gallon of toluene, and three gallons of 100 LL.

His garage caught fire and burned down.
If you believe in coincidence, you haven't looked close enough-Joe Leaphorn

joffie

Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:36 pm

Quoting A/c train (Reply 15):
leezyjet, thats bull, the ailerons will brake out.

Why would you bring up a 4 year old thread to say that???

I thought old threads are archived :@

NZ560

Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:53 pm

Quoting Joffie (Reply 19):

Not all. A lot of the old threads that search brings up haven't been.
-OJL RIP Also to the 7 onboard

saintsman

Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:49 pm

Draining the potable water tanks after a flight, one of our quality inspectors asked where the water was coming from.

"Condensation" was the reply.

"Wow, that's a lot" said he......

miamiair

Tue Nov 21, 2006 10:57 pm

Quoting Dougloid (Reply 18):
People started getting pissed off. So one day a plot was hatched. Larry was told that there was ten gallons of the good stuff just taken out of a Citation in the sump fuel tank. Well....sort of. It was five gallons of Jet A, a gallon of MEK, a gallon of toluene, and three gallons of 100 LL.

His garage caught fire and burned down.

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
Molon Labe - Proud member of SMASH

miamiair

Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:00 pm

I remember a brand new tin pecker was give an item about corrosion in the R/H Wheel Well of a DC-8...He was looking for a well (the type you see in the movie the Ring) for half of the morning until the DM asked what he was doing. Poor guy got axed on the spot.

If you don't know, ask...

charlienorth

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:46 am

Quoting NKP S2 (Reply 14):
A ways back, a few airlines ago, a mech had a pneumatic drill explode in his hand because he was running it off of an oxygen bottle from a servcing cart. He was very fortunate he didn't get hurt ( much ) and they took pictures of the grenaded drill and posted them all over stating "don't let this happen to you blah blah blah" or somesuch admonition. -- It was alway beat into our heads how flammable just about anything can be in contact w/pure O2. Hearing of this "practical" demonstration brought the point home.

OUCH...there's a story floating about someone doing a strut service with O2,maybe someone can verify that one!?!...Had a 727 trailing edge nav light inop..unscrewed the three little screws,pulled off the lens,saw the bulb was shattered,told the other mech i needed some needle nose pliers and please shut off the nav lights,came back there was blood everywhere,apparently the mope decided to press his thumb into the shattered bulb and twist it for extraction purposes...he's a lead now!
Work hard fly right..don't understand it

SlamClick

Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:48 am

Quoting NKP S2 (Reply 14):
he was running it off of an oxygen bottle from a servcing cart

An A&P friend of mine told me of hooking that pressure up to the pitot tube of a hangar queen at the school. As you might guess, the airspeed indicator exploded - gutted it.

One of my favorites now was an old GenAv mech who smoked unfiltered Camels down until they burned his lips. He smoked everywhere and at all times. I've seen him smoking while charging the oxygen system on a twin. I've seen him walking around with an open-topped gallon can of gasoline in one hand and an inch-long sparked-up Camel in the other. Fortunately he had a heart attack before he could burn down an airplane.

Heard a great fable though, I'd love it if it is true. Seems a DC-8 off a long flight up from South America could not dump its biffy tank. They concluded that there was blue ice up the pipe and rather than wait for their 80 degrees - 80% humidity to take care of the problem someone got the idea to turn on the packs, manually close the outflow valve and pressurize the system from the top down, so to speak.

Story goes that it was indeed blue (and at least one other color) ice and when it dislodged it shot a hundred yards across the infield and hit the windshield of a Lear departing the FBO ramp next door! Hey, potato guns are for sissies - here's a cannon for you!
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

jetmech

Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:55 am

A maintenance crew I once worked with were tasked with removing the Body Landing Gear (BLG) from a 747. The trunnion caps were removed but the BLG still did not want to drop from the trunnion fittings. The boys decided that for some reason, the best thing to do was to charge the strut with nitrogen. The problem was that the drag brace had already been removed.

The strut had somehow manged to stay in place against the rising pressure of the nitrogen. As expected, once the pressure was very high, the BLG strut decided to extend. In doing this, it also kicked forward due to the absence of the drag brace. This resulted in much damage to the surrounding maintenance stands and wasn't exactly ideal treatment for the airplane either.

This crew was then banished to work on 767's which was their usual aircraft type.
JetMech split the back of his pants. He can feel the wind in his hair :shock: .

miamiair

Wed Nov 22, 2006 1:59 am

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 25):

A blue turd cannon, the perfect Christmas gift...

BreninTW

Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:15 am

SlamClick -- you should really consider writing a book! I've not been long on these fora, but your posts have consistently educated and informed me -- while usually reducing me to fits of uncontrollable laughter at the office. The pictures you paint with your words are priceless!

Bren

SlamClick

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:32 pm

Quoting Brenintw (Reply 28):
a book

I did.
Two of them.
Would you like to publish them?
No one else wanted to.
Happiness is not seeing another trite Ste. Maarten photo all week long.

jetstar

Wed Nov 22, 2006 12:48 pm

One mechanic that I worked with went out to a C-182 to clean out an insects mud nest in the opening of the pitot tube, after cleaning it out with some safety wire he blew into the tube in an attempt to clean the rest of the dirt out. By doing so he pegged the airspeed indicator at maximum speed plus some and it stuck there. I would have liked to see how many times it spun around before it locked up. We had to change the airspeed indicator and do a pitot static check to recertify it for IFR.

BreninTW

Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:49 pm

Quoting SlamClick (Reply 29):

I wish I was in a position to do that Big grin

HAWK21M

Wed Nov 22, 2006 5:28 pm

Quoting Jetstar (Reply 30):
One mechanic that I worked with went out to a C-182 to clean out an insects mud nest in the opening of the pitot tube, after cleaning it out with some safety wire

The Safety wire should be of a proper dimension to avoid enlarging the Pitot opening.Else can cause erronous readings.
regds
MEL
I may not win often, but I damn well never lose!!! ;)

Buzz

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:05 am

Hi SlamClick, Buzz here. Clogged lav follies: in the '80's at the SFO base, a 747 in the hanger had a clogged lav dump pipe (I don't know which panel). Of course if you pressurize the airplane and have the dump T-handle held open with vice-grips... it'll probably blow clear.

So they pressurized the airplane, the nasty stuff clogging the pipe blew out, into the lav truck (it's a hanger, can't just blast it onto the ramp). Usually lav trucks are pretty much rectangular... when an entire 747 worth of air came rushing into the dump plumbing the rectangular tank changed shape, sort of round.

g'day

hangarrat

Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:59 am

Have you checked out Booksurge? It's a spin off of Amazon.com that applies the long tail philosophy to the vanity press industry. The idea is that they can pretty much ensure they make a profit because they print on demand and only have to warehouse your book on a hard drive until someone orders a copy.
Spell check is a false dog

2H4

Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:10 am

Story goes that it was indeed blue (and at least one other color) ice and when it dislodged it shot a hundred yards across the infield and hit the windshield of a Lear departing the FBO ramp next door!

Would such an event require the filing of a turdstrike report?

Quoting HangarRat (Reply 34):
until someone orders a copy.

Dibs!

2H4

Intentionally Left Blank

BAE146QT

Thu Nov 23, 2006 4:15 am

No one else wanted to.

That'll be the philistines at work again.

I say we should bomb them.
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

techspec

Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:05 am

Walking across hangar near 757 that was on jacks to follow up on mechanic that was performing a pitot static test. Noticed the pitot tube adaptors were smoking, dripping molten liquid and turned from blue to brown. Went to the flight deck and noticed the technician had his haz mat mask on. I asked him why the mask and did he know pitot tube heat was on and currently cooking the test set adaptors?
I knew he did not when he responded "I put the mask on when smoke starting coming through the flight deck window and wondered why the altitude and airspeed suddenly dropped!"

AirframeAS

Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:51 am

Quoting Jetguy (Reply 2):
Geeze, can you imagine what Snap On would charge for a FAA/PMA approved socket?

Goes to show that aircraft parts dont come cheap like car parts would....

Quoting Fokker Lover (Reply 4):
Whenever we get a stupid mechanic at work. We avoid the confusion by changing his title to ............Supervisor.

A classic! I thought the same about some goons I used to work with at AS.

Quoting Leezyjet (Reply 13):
It was found lodged between the wing and the aileron on an Air 2000 B757 that had to make an emergency landing because they could only turn left !!!.

I bet he got his pink-slip the second they found it!!!
A Safe Flight Begins With Quality Maintenance On The Ground.

zvocio79

Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:51 am

check this out....i worked at an airline where they hired this guy, he didnt even know how to safety wire.......one night, we didnt have an inspector and guess who ended up with a temporary inspection license?

in the same hangar, this guy is suppose to drain water of the main fuel tank, instead of pressing gently into the drain, he presses really hard and turns the drain (screwing type) shit got stuck.......we couldnt close it, so we started a cross feed to the other wing which happened to be almost full, we go get the spill truck....it was already been filled up by the heavy checkers on the same day......it was a dissaster, besides the shower, that night we lost massive gallons of fuel.....later that night we found a piece of safety wire from inside the tank stuck under the drain valve.

same guy hit the wing tip on the hangar doors.

did i mention the cleaners hooking up the shit truck to the aircraft when we were pressurizing????

HAWK21M

Sun Nov 26, 2006 2:06 am

Quoting TechSpec (Reply 37):

I knew he did not when he responded "I put the mask on when smoke starting coming through the flight deck window and wondered why the altitude and airspeed suddenly dropped!"

Are you serious.
regds
MEL

LMP737

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:34 am

This happened to a mechanic in my sister squadron while I was in the Navy. He was doing some fuel cell work one day when he came up with this bright idea. After sumping the remaining fuel SOP called for the cell to be vented using a airhose and a venturi tube to draw out the fumes. However he decided that would take to much time. He then retrieved a nitrogen cart and proceeded to flood the cell with nitrogen. He then crawled in. Ironically due to the dimensions of the cell it was commonly refered to as the coffin cell.

Well as you can imagine he did not stay conscious for long. Luckily someone came buy and figured out something was wrong and pulled him out. He woke up latter at Balboa Naval Hospital.
Never take financial advice from co-workers.

HAWK21M

Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:53 pm

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 41):
This happened to a mechanic in my sister squadron while I was in the Navy. He was doing some fuel cell work one day when he came up with this bright idea. After sumping the remaining fuel SOP called for the cell to be vented using a airhose and a venturi tube to draw out the fumes. However he decided that would take to much time. He then retrieved a nitrogen cart and proceeded to flood the cell with nitrogen. He then crawled in. Ironically due to the dimensions of the cell it was commonly refered to as the coffin cell.

Thats why Follow the Rules.They have been made with a reason.
regds
MEL

kgfive

Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:15 am

In our test cell the Mechanics were prepping an engine for a Test Cell run, think it was CF6-80C2. They were under a bit of pressure as there were Reps from the Airline doing an Audit on us at the time....well they were using a nut runner to tighten some nuts around the Fan Case when they were called away to attend to another matter leaving the nut runner sitting on the fan case right in front of the Fan Blades ( think you may have guessed what happens next ) The guys in the Test Cell Control room were given the all clear to start up ..... remember the Airline reps were about ..... well within a few seconds of running up the engine there was one helluva bang...clatter....grinding noise.....smell of human chit......as the nut runner passed through the engine and a huge amount embarrassment all round  ashamed  Very costly mistake. Oh and the Airline are still with us and accepted the grovelling they got.
fill the skies

HAWK21M

Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:42 pm

Quoting Kgfive (Reply 43):

It helps to use a Container & make persons working place tools/Spares removed in it.And the Container should always be on the surface.
regds
MEL

BAE146QT

Sun Dec 03, 2006 4:18 am

Quoting HAWK21M (Reply 44):
It helps to use a Container & make persons working place tools/Spares removed in it.And the Container should always be on the surface.

Well that's probably the reasoning behind the weighing in of people's tool boxes which was discussed recently.

Trouble is, no-one ever seems to get the balance between safety and restrictive working practices right. Still, with people being the way they are, (imperfect), maybe it'll always be that way.
Todos mis dominós son totalmente pegajosos

HAWK21M

Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:45 pm

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 45):
Still, with people being the way they are, (imperfect), maybe it'll always be that way.

Thats where certain factors to avoid problems during Mx comes in.Good articles on http://www.greyowl.com
regds
MEL

DC8FriendShip

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:13 am

Quoting BAe146QT (Reply 45):
ell that's probably the reasoning behind the weighing in of people's tool boxes which was discussed recently.

Guess I missed that topic...
Come fly the Friendly Skies of United

cancidas

Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:13 pm

not really comic, but definately some relief for us. i, as a ramp supervisor was asked to lend mechanics our airstarter so they could get a EMB-145 engine going. don't know why it was out but whatever.... the guy who came by asking us for it was a total ass, everybody couldn't stand working with him because of his attitude. basically he though he was god and everyone else a waste, and was know for stealing our tugs, GPUs, stairs and even beltloaders for his convenicene and then hiding them away in AA's hangar. anyway, i was the lowest in seniority in the office at that moment and was told to go and hook up the air for him. he of course said "i got it' and stormed off. well, the guy never used our unit and the nozzle takes a bit of finese to get in place properly. long story short, he started the unit and as soon as the line charged up the nozzle broke away from the airplane and headed straight for him breaking his ankle in the impact. from then on, those mecahnics left us and never touched a piece of our equipment ever again.
"...cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home."

HAWK21M

Sun Dec 17, 2006 7:45 pm

Quoting Cancidas (Reply 48):
the guy never used our unit and the nozzle takes a bit of finese to get in place properly. long story short, he started the unit and as soon as the line charged up the nozzle broke away from the airplane and headed straight for him breaking his ankle in the impact. from then on, those mecahnics left us and never touched a piece of our equipment ever again.

What did the Investigation point out the fault to.
regds
MEL