Falcon Flyer
Topic Author

PanAm Downsizing Sanford

Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:02 am

The Sun Sentinel is reporting that PA will cut SFB operations, eliminating intra-Florida flights and retrenching to its original service from Sanford. What about those UA 727s ?
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

ERFly

RE: PanAm Downsizing Sanford

Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:20 am

They are correct. PAA is downsizing in Sanford. Their only flights now are to San Juan (1 X a day) St. Pete with the turboprop and the railroad flight (BGR/BWI/PSM). I hear they also have an occasional direct PSM. As far as all the United 27s, I'm not sure. I know they just let go a bunch of their people though. Their operation has really slowed.

Falcon Flyer
Topic Author

Thu Sep 12, 2002 2:11 am

This was meant for the other forum, sorry.
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

DC10Tony

Thu Sep 12, 2002 3:47 am

I work at SFB, but not for Pan Am.

I saw an article in one of our local newspapers that Pan Am will cut 6 flights from SFB and lay off like 10-15 employees.

I thought they were doing well, there's always a PAA 727 landing and I see those small turboprops there all the time.

As far as those ex-UAL 727s are concerned, they're at SFB strictly for spare parts.

Theiler

Thu Sep 12, 2002 6:45 am

ERflyer,
For reference, Pan Am has a roundtrip from PSM to SFB.. Clipper 1/2. Operates every day, except Tuesday.

It's interesting to note that Clipper Connection flights (3XXX-series) have actually increased from PSM lately. I believe that those Intra-Maryland flights (BWI-wherever) have been a bust, however.

Last I checked, there were around 10 72's sitting at the maintenance facility in Portsmouth. Around 5 were in Pan Am color's, and the remaining 4 were in Untied colors. The other one was an Air Miami jet.

I'm not sure how Newark-Liberty is doing for them, but I would bet that it's probably one of their better routes (PSM-EWR).

ERFly

Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:59 am

They stopped the EWR-SFB-EWR run last week. They also stopped Naples. There are about 6 UAL 727s on our remote ramp and they have 3 or 4 in maintainance daily.