sushka

Confused About PIC Cross Country Time

Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:52 am

Hello, Im confused about the 50 hours of cross country PIC time that is needed for an instrument rating. If I am taking up a friend that is not a pilot on a cross country, will the time go towards my PIC XC time that I need for my instrument rating? Or is the only way to get PIC XC time by flying with a safety pilot while wearing foggles?
thanks
-Sushka
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

XFSUgimpLB41X

RE: Confused About PIC Cross Country Time

Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:14 am

PIC time= time when you are the sole manipulator of hte flight controls (except in the case of a flight instructor.. we are PIC when we are yelling at you too.) So put 2 and 2 together, and figure this one out yourself. Big grin
Chicks dig winglets.

sushka

Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:22 am

Ok I got that part. But why do pilots want to wear foggles when flying XC with a sefety pilot? is it just to get simulated instrument time?
Pershoyu Spravoyu Litaki!

learpilot

Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:22 am

Nope, no need for foggles. Just hop in, pick somewhere that's 50 NM away and has a good restaurant, and bring your girlfriend. Yes, it will count towards the 50 hours XC. Have fun!
Heed our warnings or your future will be underpant free!

jhooper

Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:50 am

PIC time= time when you are the sole manipulator of hte flight controls (except in the case of a flight instructor.. we are PIC when we are yelling at you too.) So put 2 and 2 together, and figure this one out yourself.

Even if you are flying with a CFI, you can log to XC time as PIC as long as you are properly rated in the aircraft and are the sole manipulator of the controls, even if the CFI is actually the PIC. Note the distinction between "serving as PIC" and "logging PIC time".
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Illini_152

Thu Sep 19, 2002 1:54 am

There are two reasons why pilots will fly under the hood with a safety pilot. One, I've done many times, is to remain insturment current. Once you get the rating, you need to complete 6 approaches, a hold, and "interception and course tracking" every six months. This can be done in the course of normal operations, but most pilots that do not fly professionally find it difficult to shoot that many approaches in 6 months while just up flying. So they'll go up with a safety pilot.

The other big one is pilots who are building time. The way the regs read, there is a differance between ACTING as PIC and LOGGING PIC flight time. Suffice it to say, the acting PIC is whomever is responsable for the safe outcome of the flight (safety pilot), and you can log PIC flight time anytime you are ACTING as PIC. However, they go on to say you can LOG PIC flight time anytime you are sole manipulator of the controls OR (and thats the significant OR) are acting as PIC in an operation that requires more than one crew member.

So when two rated pilots are in an airplane, the one flying under the hood is logging PIC flight time as sole manipulator, while the safety pilot is acting PIC, responsable for the safe outcome of the flight, and is ALSO logging PIC. That's why you hear pilots going out and doing that; it allows two pilots to build time while splitting the cost of the aircraft.

- Mike
Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

jhooper

Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:08 am

Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.