Norbert
Topic Author

Where Are The Brakes On A 737.

Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:50 am

I'm sorry if this question may seem a little naive, and I already searched the forum for a similar question, but how/where are the brakes on this plane.

For example: The pilot is taxing around the airport and he/she is approaching a turn where they need to slow the plane in order to make a smooth turn. How do they do that? Is this all controlled by the parking brake lever/switch??

Thanks for your help!
Cheers,

Norbert

OPNLguy

RE: Where Are The Brakes On A 737.

Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:52 am

The parking brake lever is just that--a PARKING brake lever, for use when you park.

To slow the aircraft down the crew has brake pedals located on the top portion of their respective rudder pedals.

Good question...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Norbert
Topic Author

Fri Sep 20, 2002 7:58 am

Thanks OPNLguy for that quick response. That makes sense! Do you know if there are any images that show the break pedals? I think it would be interesting to see them. I will conduct a search as well.

Best regards!

OPNLguy

Fri Sep 20, 2002 8:17 am

THere ya go...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Rez Manzoori

ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

bio15

Fri Sep 20, 2002 9:16 am

Not only the 737 but on most, if not all, aircraft the brakes are the rudder pedals. The way in which you depress the pedals determines if you are inputing rudder, or brakes. Bringing your toes down against the pedals makes them lean foreward which means you are braking. Pushing with your heels will slide the pedals one foreward one backward which means you're working on the rudder. You can brake on one pedal for differential braking, but you can't press both pedals for rudder.

Hope it's clear

-bio

concorde1518

Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:38 pm

Not to step on the current topic, but when in line for takeoff, and are, say, 5th or so in priority, would an airline pilot just keep his feet on the brakes or engage the Parking Brake?

Smile

ERFly

Fri Sep 20, 2002 12:54 pm

Most airlines want you to apply the parking brake if you stop for any amount of time while in line for takeoff.

If a pilot was to slightly slip off the brakes, it could be a real mess. Some airplanes, like the B757/B762 will start rolling without even applying any thrust. Its always a good habit to set the parking brake.

You must watch out though if the brakes hot after landing. The parking brake has a tendency to make the brakes lock up. We had this problem at my airport a few weeks ago. A 737 pilot set the brakes while they were hot and when they tried to push back, the nose-wheel moved, but the rest of the aircraft did not. Scary sight.