nikes

Ghost VOR

Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:18 am

Hello, what is a Ghost VOR and how does it work (Principle of Operation and limitations.)

Thanks
-Nikes

RE: Ghost VOR

Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:33 am

I haven't heard the term "ghost VOR" before, would it be the same as a "pseudo-VOR"?

flyf15

Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:37 am

I assume you're talking about a created VOR in an RNAV system. If so, a DME distance and a radial from a real VOR are entered to create a waypoint in space. While in range of the real VOR, the RNAV system is able to create an imaginary VOR at the point entered. You can then use this imaginary VOR to navigate as if there was actually a VOR at that location.

Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:53 am

Just to add a bit to what Fly15 said...
A pseudo-VOR (PVOR) can also be generated by many GPS and FMS boxes. This gives you the capability to track to or from any known fix, waypoint, or set of coordinates - not just a VOR - on a programmed radial. It simply depends upon the capabilities of the box you're navigating with. If it's a RNAV or Course Line Computer (CLC), it's like Fly15 said; if you've got a some GPSes, Lorans, or an FMS you're not limited to simply "moving" an existing VOR. It's actually a pretty useful feature - we use it all of the time to provide us with an extended runway centerline on the MFD. It's great for enhancing situational awareness in the cockpit.
Jetguy

nikes

Tue Sep 24, 2002 7:12 am

Okay, I have also heard of the term when used in reference to a TACAN only station. This will allow civilian aircraft to receive DME information. I guess maybe that's called ghost DME. Thanks for the clarification.

-Nikes