bsergonomics

What Things Really Bug You?

Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:17 am

I guess that, as a human factors engineer, I am a little over-sensitive to poor design. But what things have you come across that really bug you, simply from poor design? This is not only a question for the professionals, but also the "Self-loading cargo" and anyone else who is unfortunate enough to come across these things.

A couple of examples for you:

I frequently fly at night as a passenger on a 738. Being the "hours of darkness", the FAs dim the lights for take-off. Of course, everyone reaches up to turn on the overhead light. However, the switch for the light is not lit, and EVERY SINGLE time it happens, half the passengers inadvertently press the "FA Call" button.

In the Harrier GR7 (it should be the same for the AV-8B), the trim adjust switch is right next to the selective jettison button. You would be amazed at the number of baggage pods, external fuel tanks etc that have been dropped on unsuspecting (and probably innocent) souls.

There are plenty of others, I am sure - so share them with us!
The definition of a 'Pessimist': an Optimist with experience...

Ralgha

RE: What Things Really Bug You?

Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:06 am

Subjects in the form of "somethin somethin: question question?"

Big thumbs up
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

PW4084

Tue Sep 24, 2002 4:16 am

Reminds me of the debacle with reversed gear and flap handles. Was it Beechcraft or Piper that had this problem-anyone know??

PW4084

jsuen

Tue Sep 24, 2002 4:19 am

Here's one: lavatory doors which fold in the middle. I was on a CX A340, and I noticed quite a number of people kept pounding on the door, not being able to open it. They eventually gave up and went to the lav with a conventional door. Upon examination, I realized that all of the No Smoking and smoke detector tampering stickers on the door were both in English and Chinese, but somebody forgot to translate "Push".

Tue Sep 24, 2002 12:47 pm

Beech had the problem with switching gear and flap handle positions, also throttles and mixtures on their early twins were switched - the throttles were in the middle

Kay

Tue Sep 24, 2002 5:55 pm

something that bugs me really, is the headsets that the F/As distribute in hermetic nylon bags. I know that the headset has been used hundred of times, is full germs and whatever, and it is not because F/As spend 20 minutes after every flight re-melting nylon bags around them that I will start thinking that these are new headsets...

the paper ear cups are the solution.
k

luzezito

Tue Sep 24, 2002 10:20 pm

The seats on Russian Tu 204 and some IL's come with light and ventilator at the back of the row in front of you (where PTV's would be), which means that if you are reading anything the light is going to light the cover of the publication but not the page you are reading. Also if what you are reading is big, you will not get any air from the ventilator. Isn't that poor engineering?
Quoniam Vita Brevis Est, Propera!