shaun3000

Is There Any Class D Airspace With A Shelf?

Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:26 pm

Simple question: is there any class D airspace in the US with a shelf? By shelf I mean a portion of D airspace that starts at some point AGL, like at most C and B airports. I have heard people mention that they thought there are a few examples of D airspace with a shelf. I know D is usually just a single cylinder.

Thanks

RE: Is There Any Class D Airspace With A Shelf?

Tue Sep 24, 2002 3:07 pm

It is common to see abnormally shaped class D which has been designed with the Instrument procedures that go along with an airport in mind. Sometimes you will see a box outside the normal cylinder, extended out from the centerline of a major runway. This is to keep the aircraft in a smooth transition between class E to D, without scraping the top of the G airspace which comes up to 700 ft AGL at those areas... (inside the magenta "fade", outside the blue dotted line).. That way ATC always has "control" over the aircraft.
So no, Class D isn't always a cylinder.. But no, I haven't seen shelves. Sometimes you'll also see those same boxes, except defined in magenta dotted lines... Inside this space. This space is not class D, its class E, but instead of flooring out at 700 AGL, it goes all the away to the ground... The purpose of this, again to assist in the aircraft on approach to transition from class E to D, without wandering into G.

Hope this helps!!

Cameron

Ralgha

Wed Sep 25, 2002 3:12 am

That extra box is almost always class E, not D.
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

USAFHummer

Wed Sep 25, 2002 6:02 am

While I personally havent seen tiered Class D airspace on a chart...what some class D airports have is a TRSA...which is two tiered airspace, similar in shape (not necessarily size though) to Class C airspace...airports that have this to my knowledge include ERI (Erie, PA) and AVP (Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, PA)...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

saxman66

Thu Sep 26, 2002 9:41 am

Cameron, what kind of question is this? Class D with a shelf? cmon! jk. I've never seen class D with a shelf. That would probably make it class C. But if you really want why don't you come over to my room a couple doors down, and we'll discuss this question, in which you ponder.

Thanks, -TEX-
Ride Amtrak!

Thu Sep 26, 2002 10:55 am

I was going to say this, but Saxman beat me to it:

Yes, there is such a thing as Class D with a shelf; it's called Class C.

'Speed

Thu Sep 26, 2002 11:56 am

Oh cmon TEX... I didnt ask the question... and like I said.. there are no Class D airspace (that I know of) that have shelves!! But there is Class D airspace that has approach departure tears... such as Grand Forks AFB.. check it out on your Twin Cities Sectional.

Now that the Joking has been put aside...

RALGHA.. Yes.. it is more common to see those boxes as Class E, in Magenta Segmented Lines... HOWEVER, it is not at all uncommon to see those boxes to be Blue Segmented Lines, as CLASS D airspace.. it does happen. Grand Forks AFB is a good example. Another good example is Mansfield (KMFD)... KNFW, Clinton-Sherman (KCSM), Sheppard AFB (KSPS), Mc Kinney (KTKI), Chyenne (KCYS) and Ellsworth AFB (KRCA), are all also good examples of this Class D box.

Cameron

shaun3000

Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:32 pm

Alrighty, just wonderin. I didn't think so but ya never know.

Thanks for the replies