Omegous
Topic Author

Remembering Airspaces

Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:34 am

Of all the things I have learned so far in ground school, airspaces seem to be the most confusing for me.

Is there any easy way to remember how they all work with each other, shelves, minimums, how they look on charts, etc etc (you know, since just about everything in aviation has an acronym or a phrase to help remember!).

Or am I just gonna have to spend every last waking moment for the next week reviewing them over and over and over and over again?

flyf15

RE: Remembering Airspaces

Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:33 am

Airspaces are hard to memorize, no doubt. After using them/seeing them/working with them, you'll slowly learn them all without even realizing it. But, a large amount of private pilots don't know them. Heck, I'm an instrument pilot and I doubt I could (off of memory) spout out every single altitude and visibility requirement for the airspaces.

Do your best to study them and learn them, but don't be too discourged if you can't get them all. Most pilots are like that, at least in the beginning. Do make sure you know it all for your written and checkride though. You'll definately be quizzed on it.

radarbeam

Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:25 am

I don't know if this could apply to the US airspace system but in Canada we Use

A - All IFR
B - Big airport
C - Clearance needed
D - Dual comms capability
E - Everyone
F - F*ck off, let's get out of here! (military or restricted airspace in Canada)

Radarbeam

shaun3000

Sat Sep 28, 2002 2:35 pm

You only really need to know airspace sizes and altitudes at airports for FAA tests. In the real world, you will have a chart infront of you that lists the altitudes and visually shows the size. D is usually 5 miles/2500, but there are PLENTY that have higher or lower altitudes and it comes in all sizes and shapes. C is usually two-tiered, but that veries even more often than D. I've seen multi-tiered and I've seen it with various altitudes in teh same tier! Finally, B is NEVER, EVER the same from airport to airport. I don't even know why they have you memorize anything about it other than you need clearance to enter, remain clear of clouds, and it is multi-tiered.

jhooper

Sat Sep 28, 2002 3:02 pm

(from the King Videos)

A - Above 18000
B - Boeing Country
C - Congested
D - Dialogue
E - Everything Else
F - (No such airspace in U.S.)
G - Go For It (Uncontrolled)

Class A and B are the only airspace which requires a specific clearance. However, C and D airspace require ATC communications.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.