ryu2

How Does ATC Work In Korea (Inchon ACC)?

Wed Oct 02, 2002 4:31 am

I flew UA ICN-NRT today, and was listening to 'Channel 9', the ATC feature. I noticed that on our frequency, we only had non-Korean flights, and Inchon control pointed out 'traffic' in our vicinity, which I did not hear transmitting on our frequency.

Since I saw several Korean Air and Asiana aircraft depart ICN about the same time we did headed to Japan as well, I assume they must be in the air as well -- do the Korean planes use a different frequency with a Korean speaking controller, and foreign planes speak on a English frequency? And the controller points out the traffic, which are the Korean or Asiana planes? I notice that the Korean planes spoke Korean with ICN ground, unlike say, Japan, where all planes, even Japanese planes, speak English.

Is that assumption of dual languages/frequencies correct? If this is how it works, is that a safety problem?

Ejazz

RE: How Does ATC Work In Korea (Inchon ACC)?

Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:52 am

There are no seperate frequencies for seperate languages at ICN. Everyone should be using english but this is usually not the case at ICN.
Etihad Girl, You're a great way to fly.

ryu2

Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:16 am

So, do they have a formal English only rule in Korea which is not enforced? Or is English just a "recommendation"?

I heard that when Air France tried to get their pilots to speak English in France instead of French, they nearly revolted... wonder how the situation is in Korea?

CX Flyboy

Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:24 am

Shanghai is close by, and they are either using the same frequency, or there is a lot of breakthrough, because I can normally hear Chinese spoken on the frequency.

dispatcher

Tue Oct 08, 2002 12:09 pm

I also heard the ROKAF flies with impunity, taking responsibility for seperation upon themselves. Maybe that is the traffic they are calling out.

KAL_LM

Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:02 pm

I've had this discussion with several of the pilots that come through here and technically, English is to be used, and usually is. ALthough I do know thatthe Korean crews do talk to ground ops in Korean and may also talk to ATC that way. But techincally it should be English.

regards,
Tom
is that a light at the end of the tunnel or just a train?

ryu2

Tue Oct 08, 2002 2:21 pm

KAL_LM, that's interesting to hear about Korean planes speaking English in Korea.

From listening to UA Channel 9, it's also the case in Japan that English is to be used, even by Japanese planes. But in China's airspace, all the Chinese airlines speak Chinese (Mandarin), so English only is obviously not the case for all countries. Perhaps the English rule may be due to US military traffic and US military controlled ATC zones in Japan and Korea, maybe?

B777av8r

Tue Oct 08, 2002 9:54 pm

The ATC at RKSI (ICN) is very good. English is the language that is used and NO, the local pilots don't have their own frequencies to use.

tsentsan

Tue Oct 08, 2002 10:54 pm

I reckon if you've heard China Southern / China Eastern and gang transmit on ATC, you'd be more comfortable with them heeding to instructions in Mandarin once they're in China...

I think in another post, Mandala499 mentioned that CGK clearance had to enlist the help of a CX pilot to translate what they wanted to say to one particular Chinese airline in Mandarin!
NO URLS in signature

sudden

Tue Oct 08, 2002 11:14 pm

Isn't this worrying that all pilots can't speak english, as that is the aviation language?
Don't it raise the risk that something could happen one day due to that the pilot could not understand ATC, and would make a misstake?

Do you as a pilot feel comfortable with this?
When in doubt, flat out!

KLAX

Wed Oct 09, 2002 4:29 am

The ICAO approves a couple different languages that are allowed to be used in countries that speak the respective language, although non-speaking pilots and controlers may and usually must revert to English. If I remember correctly, the languages are:
-Spanish
-Chinese
-English
-French
-Portugese

So, Korean pilots should be speaking English.

-Clovis  Smile

ryu2

Sat Oct 19, 2002 3:46 pm

CX flyboy -- might the Chinese you have heard over frequency be Chinese planes talking to one another? While I was flying UA and listenning to Channel 9, I have heard Chinese aircraft talk to each other (obviously in Chinese) over public ATC frequencies in Japan before. (I suppose that's a nono, right?)

jhooper

Thu May 24, 2007 11:42 am

Perhaps the controller was broadcasting on multiple frequencies.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

jgarrido

Thu May 24, 2007 12:53 pm

Quoting Sudden (Reply 9):
Isn't this worrying that all pilots can't speak english, as that is the aviation language?
Don't it raise the risk that something could happen one day due to that the pilot could not understand ATC, and would make a misstake?

It happens but some airlines have people on board who speak English as a first language to help the pilots understand the communication from English speaking controllers. I've heard the "round-eye" parroting my instructions in the background on many a JAL flight.

Mir

Thu May 24, 2007 1:13 pm

Quoting Tsentsan (Reply 8):
I reckon if you've heard China Southern / China Eastern and gang transmit on ATC, you'd be more comfortable with them heeding to instructions in Mandarin once they're in China...

yes   thumbsup 

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

KELPkid

Thu May 24, 2007 1:20 pm

In Mexico the controllers speak Spanish until someone on frequency starts speaking "La Idioma Otra"  Smile Even then, only the communcation between you and the controller is English, and the controllers that I've encountered in Mexico usually speak with a very thick accent and broken English  Wink
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

IAHFLYR

Thu May 24, 2007 8:49 pm

Quoting Ryu2 (Thread starter):
I did not hear transmitting on our frequency.

Certainly not sure of how things are worked in Korea however it is very common for traffic to be issued from one sector about an aircraft in another sector, in which case you'd never hear the other aircraft. Most common when in sectors are on top of one another.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.