Mr Spaceman
Topic Author

A Lear-24 Bizjet With ECM Capabilities...Why?

Tue Oct 22, 2002 3:20 am

Hi guys.

Are there any private civilian aviation uses for Electronic Counter Measures, or is ECM capability something that only a military needs?

The reason I'm asking is because of the photo below of a private Gates Lear-24 bizjet that's carrying an ECM pod through the skies over Sweden.

The only ECM uses I'm aware of involve the jamming of air & ground radar, and communications, etc, by military aircraft...which Sweden has many of. So what would this Learjet be up to?

A Lear-24 bizjet with an ECM pod.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Peter Liander

Here's some aircraft that I normally think of that use ECM.

A Grumman EA-6B Prowler.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Tony Zeljeznjak

A Grumman EA-6A Intruder with ECM pods.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Dave Kirkby

Chris  Smile

"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

LY744

RE: A Lear-24 Bizjet With ECM Capabilities...Why?

Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:30 am

Perhaps the company makes such devices and the a/c is a testbed for them, that would also explain the flashy colors.

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

LY744

Tue Oct 22, 2002 6:35 am

Check out http://www.nygeaero.com/, it should make it a little clearer.  Smile

LY744.
Pacifism only works if EVERYBODY practices it

L-188

Tue Oct 22, 2002 8:53 am

Phoenix Air does ECM training work with Lear 35's for the Navy.

They fly target tugs and simulate being soviet radar for ships to practice with.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

OPNLguy

Tue Oct 22, 2002 9:37 am

ECM comes in many flavors...

The obvious ECM pods aside, what you're starting to see on some biz jets are one of these... (scroll down about 2/3 of the way and look at the tailcone of the Gulfstream...)

http://www.propilotmag.com/October/article2_oct.html

http://www.lockheedmartin.com/lmis/level4/ircmprod.html

Air Force One, and the Shuttle Carrier are so equipped, among others....
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

covert

Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:03 am

Don't forget about the Columbian druglords private jets....
none

erj-145mech

Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:12 pm

Its an option from Gulfstream after a G-II took a SAM over Africa a few years ago. Not all areas are secure, and some yahoo's can't tell the difference between a biz jet and a military weapon delivery device.

Dave
QC Inspector
Expressjet
TYS

EssentialPowr

Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:16 pm

erj-145mech:
I heard a rumor someone's reverse engineering an ERJ145 for a SIM...
true?

erj-145mech

Tue Oct 22, 2002 4:38 pm

True......a large sim manufacturing company has been here for the past week with one of our planes, taking measurements and weights in different loading configurations (fuel imbalance, etc). They're spending a ton of money on this project.

Dave
Expressjet
TYS

Mr Spaceman
Topic Author

Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:00 am

Hi guys.

Thanks for your replies.

>LY744, that was a great link to Saab Nyge Aero's website. It did explain exactly why their Learjet-24 had an ECM pod on her in 1987. Today the company's Special Flight Operations (SFO) division operates Learjet-35s, Mitsibishi Mu-2s, Cessna 310s and beech 2000s. They are a service center for both military & civilian aircraft where they complete training and inspections of various products and systems.

I had a feeling that this company was contracted out by the military, but forgot to mention it.

>OPNLguy, that link about the American International Group (AIG) was very interesting. Some of the security measures they take at AIG when their corporate aircraft are going to depart on an overseas trip are quite amazing, such as cross-matching blood types between the passengers and flight crew incase a transfusion proves necessary, thus no local blood sources will be needed. Both pax & flight crews need to use fingerprint scanners before gaining access to hangars. They have digital security cameras with satelite datalinks. They use armed guards with double-barrel shot guns to protect their aircraft while on the ground. Some of their aircraft have ECM capabilities to protect against surface-to-air missles, etc, etc, etc! WOW!

Chris  Smile
"Just a minute while I re-invent myself"

GDB

Thu Oct 24, 2002 1:54 am

The UK services use Falcon 20's operated by FR Aviation fitted with ECM for training, most notably in the weekly simulated attacks on RN ships in the English Channel, the Falcon's work with BAe Hawks, the small jet trainers simulating anti-ship missiles.

Thu Oct 24, 2002 2:05 am

Gulfstream offers an ECM option on its G-IV and G-V bizjets. I don't remember how much they want for the package, but it isn't cheap.