Pilot1113
Topic Author

FedEx Pilot Requirements

Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:14 pm

http://www.pilot.fedex.com/careers/qualifications.shtml

Down towards the bottom of the list of requirements, one of them is:

"Eligibility for issuance of US Security Clearance"

Why would a pilot for FedEx need a security clearance?

- Neil Harrison

PPGMD

RE: FedEx Pilot Requirements

Sun Nov 03, 2002 5:27 pm

Just a guess but, Fedex is big time helper of the DOD, if they need a plane Fedex is more than happy to provide them. So naturally one would need to be able to get the security clearence to fly with them.
At worst, you screw up and die.

L-188

Sun Nov 03, 2002 6:25 pm

That actually refers to the background checks that are required to get onto the Aircraft Operations Area at all the airports in the US.

The rules have changes lately and I belive that everybody now gets fingerprinted to get badged now. Which is pathetic, a lot of rampers would do better working in a 7-11 then on the ramp and they wouldn't have the deep intrusion into their personal lives that has been the case for a number of years now.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

jhooper

RE: What To Do During A Long Flight?

Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:44 am

It would seem logical that a FedEx pilot might need a security clearance to transport classified cargo, but I'd imagine the military transports their "really" sensitive stuff on their own cargo planes.
Last year 1,944 New Yorkers saw something and said something.

Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:02 am

Flip over a MD-11 in landing? LOL

Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:17 am

Every and all airlines in the USA (that is operating under FAR 121) or their overseas equivalent - go to extensive background checks... it is not FedEx only which has such requirements... The same requirements and investigations will exist for just about any air carrier... call it American Airlines or Polar Air Cargo. If you have any type of criminal background... (even minor), dont waste your time to apply...
xxx
(s) Skipper

USAFHummer

Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:24 am

FedEx is also part of the Civil Air Reserve Fleet (or is it Reserve Air), and as such during times of war they may be called upon to do extensive work for the military, and this may explain it...

Greg
Chief A.net college football stadium self-pic guru

PPGMD

Mon Nov 04, 2002 11:27 am

USAFHummer, that was what I was thinking of, I completely forgot what they call it. The guy that I was speaking to at Fedex made it sound like they are the first ones to volunteer their aircraft when a call is made.
At worst, you screw up and die.

Pilot1113
Topic Author

Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:32 pm

>>Civil Air Reserve Fleet (or is it Reserve Air)

That was one of my ideas, but so is American and United. Both airlines don't stipulate said requirement.

>>It would seem logical that a FedEx pilot might need a security clearance to transport classified cargo

That was another one of my ideas, but a pilot would have nominal knowledge of what he/she is carrying. A "don't ask/don't tell" policy if you will. The only thing that would be made clear to the pilot is whether or not the cargo is hazardous.

Also, a pilot would minimal contact with the cargo beyond checking to make that it is secure.

- Neil Harrison

Mon Nov 04, 2002 2:06 pm

CRAF - Civil Reserve Air Fleet
Most cargo air carriers and supplemental air carriers are part of CRAF...
Some majors are as well (PanAm was in my days...)
xxx
(s) Skipper

mikeclod

Mon Nov 04, 2002 5:55 pm

I am pretty sure this is the same clearance that all airport employees have to get now. Also, FedEx pilots do not know what they're carrying, don't check to see if it's secure (that's the load captain's job), and only have access to the front ULD (the DG, or Dangerous goods can).
Hope this helps,
Mikeclod

P.S. FedEx Express kicks a**

kaitakfan

Tue Nov 05, 2002 3:53 am

Skipper, I was always curious if Airlines looked extremely down on an applicant with a speeding ticket in the past. Any insight on how serious a traffic offense such as that is taken by the airlines?

Cheers!
Brian