ukair

Skyvan Refuel With Motors Running, Why?

Fri Nov 29, 2002 4:58 am

Have a look at these pics. We've got a Shorts Skyvan being refueled with the engines running which I find puzzling does anyone know why?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Glenn Alderton

View Large View Medium

Photo © Frank Schaefer

View Large View Medium

Photo © Craig Murray

OPNLguy

RE: Skyvan Refuel With Motors Running, Why?

Fri Nov 29, 2002 7:02 am

It's been about a zillion years (or maybe it just FEELS that way) since I was familiar with the similar Shorts 330 aircraft, but my guess would be that the aircraft pictured being refueled was at an airport that didn't have an operable ground power unit. This, the only electrical means of starting the aircraft was via an already running engine. Might also have been an aircraft-related problem, although it's been too long since my SD-330 experience to recall the specific possibilities...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

Fri Nov 29, 2002 7:55 am

I would assume that they're flying multiple short flights by the "Sydney Sky Diving" logo on the airplane. Turbine engine maintenance is based on a combination of time and cycles. Keeping the engines running would reduce the start cycles on the Skyvan's engines. Is it a smart practice? Well, it's probably not one that I would endorse under normal conditions. Although it's a fairly common practice with helicopters.

Jetguy

tulsarefueler

Mon Dec 02, 2002 5:05 pm

i am with opnlguy on this one. given the pictures they were probably
doing a lot of jumps, or the fueler was just in need of a new source of
air conditioning.