AA777-200
Topic Author

ERJ-- Low Speed Flap Indication

Tue Dec 31, 2002 2:23 pm

I am hoping one of the Mechanics can answer this question for me. Today one of our flights called in range and had a Low Speed Flap Indication message on the EICAS. Exactly what is this? MOC said it should only be a write up but it ended up taking about 80 minutes to fix. I notice that alot of our ERJs get this so its something that is not too uncommon I guess. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Brad

cdfmxtech

RE: ERJ-- Low Speed Flap Indication

Tue Dec 31, 2002 3:45 pm

Flap Low Speed is an advisory EICAS message which is generated when one of the two flap channels is inoperative. The flaps operate at their low-speed setting when this occurs. Both flap channels failed is NO-GO and would generate a Warning message, the highest level.
The MEL capability is contingent on their being
a). no obstacles in the takeoff flight path above level off and
b). the flap motor and brakes of the failed channel are deactivated.

The dispatch procedure involves gaining access to a wing panel and removing a connector to deactivate the failed channel. Not sure exactly how long this takes. I can't imagine it would take that long. Maybe MOC knew something about this airplane and wanted it fixed before further flight.

AA777-200
Topic Author

Tue Dec 31, 2002 4:29 pm

Hey there.
Thanks for the answer. I was watching the mechanic when they came in and he had to tear open a panel on the belly just aft of the wings. I saw him unplug one of the channels and put a bag over the end of it. The funny thing was is that he guessed the wrong one and had to go back in and switch it.
Have a Happy New Year
Brad

erj-145mech

Tue Dec 31, 2002 8:49 pm

The FECU (Flap Electronic Control Unit), the unit that controls the flap operation is located in the panel 193 fairing, just aft of the trailing edge of the wing below the fuselage skin. The FECU primary function is to prevent split flap conditions, one wing flap extends, and the other doesn't. Parker-Hannifin is the manufacturer of these units, and is in the process of upgrading to help prevent failures. The older units (no mod or mod A status) had a fairly high failure rate.

jetdoctor

Wed Jan 01, 2003 11:09 am

Brad

That's what ya get when contract maintenance touches our aircraft. By the way, if SPS Advanced is on the EICAS with the asscociated flap low speed advisory, the aircraft can't be dispatched.
Break ground, and head into the wind. Don't break wind and head into the ground.

EssentialPowr

Wed Jan 01, 2003 2:07 pm

Nice comments.

Operationally (from the front end), it calls for a Flaps 22 landing, as a go around from Flaps 45 and subsequent flap retraction sequence takes too long.

Cheers