fspilot747

Suggestions For IFR Training: Which Plane

Thu Jan 09, 2003 11:19 am

Good Evening, (or morning, or afternoon...depending on wherever you are)

I've been flying for about 2.5 years (half the time on an old 152, and the other half on a new 172SP). I want to do IFR training, and my school has the 141 program, and we have an older Piper Arrow (no GPS like the 172SP). Is it a good idea, in your opinion, to switch to the Piper Arrow for my IFR training? Or would you guys recommend staying in the 172SP? Same cost. I think the Arrow would be nice--since I've wanted to fly a little complex aircraft that is low-wing. Advice/Opinions welcome!

FSP

RE: Suggestions For IFR Training: Which Plane

Thu Jan 09, 2003 1:42 pm

Assuming that there is no cost difference, it's a no brainer. Definitely go with the Arrow. It's a complex airplane and will probably extend your training a little bit, but not very much - 3 or 4 hours at the most over the entire course. It will be an excellent way to build retract time and having to deal with the complex airplane stuff during your training will only add to your competence once you've completed the course. It will be like getting 40 to 50 hours of retractable time for the cost of what ever little extra time it takes you do complete the program in the Arrow. At this stage in your career, that's a real bargain. The fact that the C172 has a GPS and the Arrow doesn't shouldn't even be a consideration - you wouldn't be using it much, if any during your training.

SkyGuy11

RE: Suggestions For IFR Training: Which Plane

Thu Jan 09, 2003 4:29 pm

Fly the Arrow; better experience at the same price