flyf15

Using A Portable Radio In An Airplane Without One

Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:10 am

Hey guys,

I was wondering about the posibility of using a portable radio (transciever) in an aircraft which is not equipped with a radio, such as gliders or light GA aircraft without electrical systems. It seemed like a great idea to me if you happen to have one, but then I was wondering, is it legal? Do these aircraft (in the US) have a radio permit?

XFSUgimpLB41X

RE: Using A Portable Radio In An Airplane Without One

Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:42 am

No aircraft in the US have a radio permit..only need it for international ops.

Take the radio along and have a good time.  Smile
Chicks dig winglets.

buckfifty

RE: Using A Portable Radio In An Airplane Without

Sat Feb 01, 2003 11:48 am

The only problem is that if you don't plug it into a headset or something, it's quite hard to listen/transmit because of all the noise (like an ultralight, for example.) Can't say the same for a glider, though, and I imagine they do use them, because I hear them on the radio sometimes.

You only need a radio operator's license to operate one, you don't need one for it's existence.

flyf15

Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:23 pm

I guess, for clarification, I know that I can use it in an aircraft which has a radio without anything special. But do I need a radio operator's license to operate it in an aircraft which does not have a radio?

Illini_152

Sat Feb 01, 2003 12:45 pm

Welllll.....

I did just that last summer while towing banners. Of course, the airplane at one time had a radio, a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. I never really thought much about the legality of it now that you mention it (for th record, it was a PA-12; the battery, alternator, starter and radios were stripped out along with alot of other things)

Another thing to keep in mind is an external antenea. The rubber ducky on most handhelds is only good for a few miles, less when positioned inside a tin can. With my Icom I was able to transmit and recieve with other aircraft 40+ miles out sometimes.

--
Mike
Happy contrails - I support B747Skipper and Jetguy

L-188

Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:25 pm

You will want to wire in an external antenna, otherwise the range will be squat. Most manufactures have kits that a mechanic can install for this.

Using a handheld for comm radios is popular with guys that have antique aircraft with original vintage panels they don't want to destroy by installing modern radios in.

I have even seen an advert for a portable transponder, so that you can move it from aircraft to aircraft.

OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Ralgha

Sun Feb 02, 2003 5:47 am

No you do not need a radio operator's license.

Big thumbs up
09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

PPGMD

Sun Feb 02, 2003 11:26 am

Some gliders use the portable radios, but most have an installed one.

Agreeing with everyone else. Get a headset connector, and if you can use an external antenna.

No radios licenses are needed that I know of, as long as it's used for VFR.
At worst, you screw up and die.

Minuteman

Sun Feb 02, 2003 12:53 pm

You don't need a radio operator's license for VFR or IFR (in the US), but you used to. As lifed from the FCC's website:

"On October 26, 1996, the FCC released a Report and Order in WT Docket No. 96-82, FCC 96-421, eliminating the individual licensing requirement for all aircraft operating domestically. This means that you do not need a license to operate a two-way VHF radio, radar, or ELT aboard aircraft operating domestically. All other aircraft radio stations must be licensed by the FCC either individually or by fleet."

http://wireless.fcc.gov/aviation/fctsht4.html

Back in the day (before 1996), was it necessary to apply for a radio operators certificate separately from an airman certificate?

Minuteman

geotrash

Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:57 am

In the documentation I have for my aircraft (C-182), there is an FCC station permit for the radios. Looks like an original 1964 document. Thanks to Minuteman for solving the great mystery as to why this document exists. I'd have to dig out the records to get the exact verbage, but I just ran across it last week when I was organizing some of the old records and had asked a couple of people about it but none of them knew what it was needed for.

Perhaps this sort of document was the impetus for Flyf15's question.

Dave

PPGMD

Mon Feb 03, 2003 12:24 pm

I was taking a peek in Aircraft Spruce and Speciality catlog today, while flipping though I happened upon a neat product.

It's an antenna kit for transcievers, but it uses suction cups so it can be moved from aircraft to aircraft.

It appears to be name by Icom. It's called the "Windshield Antenna Kit", it has no model number but it's Aircraft Spruce and Speciality part number is 11-18603, and it cost $26.80 from Aircraft Spruce and Speciality.

It appears to be compatiable with any radio that uses a BNC as the antenna connector.

Edit: Opps relized that the acronym is a dirty word.

[Edited 2003-02-03 04:26:19]
At worst, you screw up and die.